61 mm vs. 64 mm billet

maxxedout

Reaction score
I've been in contact with a couple of the vendors on here regarding upgrading to a 2015-style turbocharger. Everyone I've spoken with has been VERY helpful, but I'm still not sure which turbo to go with. Right now, I'm between the 61 mm and 64 mm billet 2015-style VGT's. I'm just not sure which one would work best for me.

Again, the vendors have all been very helpful, but I'd appreciate some feedback from guys with 2011-2014 trucks that have done the swap. My concern with the 61 mm is that it won't "feel" like that much of an upgrade when it's all said and done. On the other side of things, I don't know if a 64 mm is going to be a little to big for my purposes. I would like a noticeable power gain over my stock turbo, but I'm not shooting for all out maximum power. A good upgrade that will maintain drivability is what I'm after.

My truck is a 2012 deleted with Gearhead tunes. I have a 2015 HPFP that I'll be installing soon, so I want to make sure whatever turbo I go with will move enough air, so I can take advantage of the extra fuel the 2015 HPFP has to offer. Most of my driving is just cruising back and forth to work, etc., but I do tow a horse trailer on the weekends, so towing needs to be doable with whatever turbo I go with.

Thank You!

Reaction score
With the stock turbo on stock canned h&s tunes s&b intake and 5" exhaust on a 2011 it made 426hp.

With the 61mm TowMax turbo on stock canned h&s tunes s&b intake and 5" exhaust on the same 2011. No other changes it made 497hp.

It gained 178 ft lbs too.

Fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxxedout

Reaction score
If I was going to stay with my stock 2012 HPFP, I'd be sold on the tow max. I'm just wondering how everything will work out with the addition of a 2015 HPFP. If I run a little more fuel, am I going to need more air than the tow max can provide? I don't want to regret not going big enough, but I don't want to go too big and end up with other problems.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Between a stock 61 and a streetmax 64, the gain is noticeable. You'll have a tiny bit of lag with the 64 but not enough to really be problematic. Custom tuning is almost going to be necessary with the 64 to get the most out of it. I'll have dyno numbers and data together after Christmas to share with everybody, as far as my setup goes. As a whole, I've sold several streetmax turbos to customers who use their vehicles in a variety of different ways. None of which have ever called back with any complaints. If that helps any

Fox

Reaction score
I have the same concerns, I really enjoy the instant boost from my '11 turbo.
But it does seem to run out of steam up top.

Morgan, what would you recommend for a turbo to match these HPFPs?

Stock '11-'14
Stock '15
or your 25% Over

maxxedout

Reaction score
I'm not really considering a "stock" 61 mm. I'm torn between the billet 61 mm (tow max) and billet 64 mm (street max). I'm just not sure which one would work best for a 2012 with a 2015 HPFP. I'm not shooting for 600 HP, but I do want more power than I have now. I want to be able to have some fun, but I don't want to end up with something that will be a drag to drive every day.

maxxedout

Reaction score
I have the same concerns, I really enjoy the instant boost from my '11 turbo.
But it does seem to run out of steam up top.

Morgan, what would you recommend for a turbo to match these HPFPs?

Stock '11-'14
Stock '15
or your 25% Over

Exactly what I'd like to know as well!

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I'm not really considering a "stock" 61 mm. I'm torn between the billet 61 mm (tow max) and billet 64 mm (street max). I'm just not sure which one would work best for a 2012 with a 2015 HPFP. I'm not shooting for 600 HP, but I do want more power than I have now. I want to be able to have some fun, but I don't want to end up with something that will be a drag to drive every day.

I honestly feel it's a waste to go from a factory 61 to a billet 61, for the cost. If you're going to spend the money, the streetmax is where you should look. You can do everything with that charger and not have the worry of it being "too big". Like I said, I've got customers running them on trucks that play, work, and do both. I see no reason why a full retrofit kit, hpfp and a streetmax won't tickle your fancy.

If you do go with a streetmax, figure into your budget $399 for a AP upgraded air intake kit. That charger loves to breathe and won't live a happy life with out something capable of flowing a large amount of air.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Right now, I'm running the stock 2012 charger with a wicked wheel II. I don't have a 2015 turbo, yet, so I'm stumped trying to pick out which one is right for me. As long as there aren't any major downsides to the streetmax when it comes to towing and daily driving, it sounds like it's the better choice for my application. I understand that I'll need custom tuning to get the most out of it, but will it still be drivable as a bolt-on upgrade while I'm getting the tuning sorted out?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Yes. You'll just have a small amount of lag in the mean time. Custom tuning can be had at time of purchase, as well. Everything is pretty much sorted out as far as that goes. Keep in mind too, that any 2015 drop in charger in a late model truck is going to need tuning changes to really benefit from it. Didn't want that to be a deciding factor for you, on the streetmax.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Oh, I already have an S&B intake, so I'm hoping that will work with a streetmax... I have the MCC unlock as well, (running Gearhead's tunes at the moment). I can deal with a little lag while the tuning is sorted out. I just want to make the right choice, and not end up regretting it, wishing I had gone another route.

If I'm not looking to push the 600 hp mark, "should" everything else hold up alright, or are there any other upgrades I'll need to consider in the near future?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
You'll ne completely fine with a streetmax, pump, and custom tuning.

You're definetly going to want to upgrade that intake kit to something like what I offer.

I can make you a package deal on everything, if you'd like.

Reaction score
My 2015 with a 64mm and 2015 pump towed grossing around 28k with zero issues all they way to beans pull in Tennessee through hills and all. Towing is not an issue. For guys who don't worry about power so much as everyday driving the TowMax is a great match. Like a tune only truck that works and isn't used for strictly play. For a truck that tows and still likes to have fun a StreetMax will get you more power. There is very little spool up difference between the two. But there is some. Nothing even remotely close to a non-vgt. And I towed heavy with a s366 too.

Buck1

Reaction score
I just put a Towmax on my truck. Upgraded from a stock 2011 charger with ww2. I'm running a 2015 pump as well. The 61 is a little lazier on the bottom end then old charger but once lit is stronger all the way thru. I had the same concerns and Morgan provided me with the same info as above. So far, just a couple short trips to town and yet to lay into it, I pleased. Exhaust note is deeper and much more pronounced intake sound in cab. Engine almost seems quieter. I'm hoping for low to mid 5s, with this setup. Definitely more top end pull than old charger had and I have yet to flat foot it.

Hope that helps.

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I went the stock 15 charger route and I'll just tell you if you're going to do the swap, go with the street max and just do it once. If I could go back, I'd go that route. Truck woke up a bunch with the stock 15 charger but I want to go with the streetmax in the future. I'm working with Morgan on tuning to optimize what I have and will go with his 25% over pump along with a charger upgrade in future. Either way you go, you'll gain the power you're looking for.

Keith

maxxedout

Reaction score
My 2015 with a 64mm and 2015 pump towed grossing around 28k with zero issues all they way to beans pull in Tennessee through hills and all. Towing is not an issue. For guys who don't worry about power so much as everyday driving the TowMax is a great match. Like a tune only truck that works and isn't used for strictly play. For a truck that tows and still likes to have fun a StreetMax will get you more power. There is very little spool up difference between the two. But there is some. Nothing even remotely close to a non-vgt. And I towed heavy with a s366 too.

Like I said, most of my driving is just commuting back and forth to work and then running around on the weekends. I average about 600 miles a week, so I'm in the truck A LOT. That being said, if it runs well, I'll love it, but if it doesn't run right, it'll drive me nuts.

My main reason for wanting to upgrade is reliability... I don't want to end up on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with two horses in a trailer. I want to be able to have some fun though. My ideal setup would be a strong running truck that will outrun a lot of what's on the street, but safe enough to turn down the programmer, and head out of town with a trailer. Maintaining or improving the fuel mileage would be the icing on the cake...

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
I don't know about gaining much if any fuel economy but the reliability will surely be there.

Keith

maxxedout

Reaction score
I don't know about gaining much if any fuel economy but the reliability will surely be there.

Keith

Let me rephrase that... I'm alright with the mileage the way it is now. I did lose about 1 mpg after switching from H&S to Gearhead, but it's not THAT big of a deal because I like how the Gearhead tunes run. Right now, I'm averaging between 16-17; if I could keep that going with the new turbo, I'd be very happy.

Latest posts

Members online