62/75 compound set up

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
Ok. Should I just order up a 45* -12 fitting from summit? That seem to work the best?
Also, can I keep my oil filter in the stock spot? Was talking with a guy and he said it had to be moved, at least the way he ran his plumbing. And are the up pipes divided or both go into the high pressure?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ok. Should I just order up a 45* -12 fitting from summit? That seem to work the best?
Also, can I keep my oil filter in the stock spot? Was talking with a guy and he said it had to be moved, at least the way he ran his plumbing. And are the up pipes divided or both go into the high pressure?

I recommend a -12 or -16 45* fitting welded to the upper oil pan. If you are going this crazy, relocate the oil filter for sure, it will be a lot easier. No need for a divided housing on the low pressure. There is no divided pulse to each volute making it less of an issue, the drive from the secondary into an open housing is enough. Not the same for the secondatry:thumbsup:

Mdub707

Reaction score
And are the up pipes divided or both go into the high pressure?

No need for a divided housing on the low pressure. There is no divided pulse to each volute making it less of an issue, the drive from the secondary into an open housing is enough. Not the same for the secondatry:thumbsup:

Maybe it's just the wording but it almost sounds like the OP is asking if the up-pipes go to each turbo? I'm not sure, just sounds weird reading it out.

Whether it's divided up-pipes or not, both sides feed the high pressure turbo. You probably already know this, but it sounded confusing LOL

MorganY

Reaction score
Maybe it's just the wording but it almost sounds like the OP is asking if the up-pipes go to each turbo? I'm not sure, just sounds weird reading it out.

Whether it's divided up-pipes or not, both sides feed the high pressure turbo. You probably already know this, but it sounded confusing LOL

Yea thats what he is asking. Not necessary to relocate oil filter. Just another cost to add on. OP, turbine side: divided up pipes> secondary inlet> outlet into primary inlet> primary outlet> downpipe/exhaust/tailpipe. Comp side: air filter> primary inlet> primary outlet into secondary inlet> secondary outlet into IC> IC into engine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
Yea thats what he is asking. Not necessary to relocate oil filter. Just another cost to add on. OP, turbine side: divided up pipes> secondary inlet> outlet into primary inlet> primary outlet> downpipe/exhaust/tailpipe. Comp side: air filter> primary inlet> primary outlet into secondary inlet> secondary outlet into IC> IC into engine

yes this is what i was asking. thanks for the explanation.

wondering if i can do this build in stages? think that i would feel a little more comfortable doing it that way and it would be nice to not dump 6 grand at one time. could i do injectors, the fmw 62, the same up pipes i would use for the compound set up and call it good there? then 6 months or a year down the line just build a mount for the s475 and get the custom plumbing, gate and do the drain line? or if im doing this, should i just do it? i just dont want to get in over my head, be staring at the engine bay for a week then get the i told you so lecture from my dad. i know that i am capable of learning and doing this, its just the fact that this is not my project vehicle. its my daily driver and i know my dad expects me to get it done in a day (or couple days, whatevs) so i can use it to get to work the next day.

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
actually ignore most of that last post, if i do this im going to do it all. anything prep wise, or some parts i can do this fall to make it easier to do when i have the cab up?

Skinny

Reaction score
I think if you where the one talking to me about one of our kits on facebook then yes you have to relocate the filter that comes in the kit like I was talking about to you.
ary7u5u3.jpg

Sent from my iPone sitting on the crapper

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Here's how we did my drain. Less than ideal but there was no way I was pulling the pan to drill the top of the plate. No problems with backing up and it's been this way on both my compounded trucks...

20120901_145320.jpg

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I am running the fmw62 on my 7.3 as a single. comparing apples to oranges though on the different engine but this turbo does extremely well on a 350hp tune, keeps the truck very cool and is super responsive with the .83 housing. You will probably want to gate the passenger side up pipe into the intermediate pipe between the turbos (exhaust). Ive seen several people do it that way without controlling pressure on the driver side, but connecting the up pipes together really kills your spool time, guess it has to be done that way.. The 475 will be a good choice but you won't be spinning it very fast, so it's not going to deliver all that much CFM if youre only asking 15-20psi out of it. If you set the wastegate loose to dump more volume to it, of course it will hit harder but you will only get so much. A 480 or 483 are the same frame size and will deliver more air at lower wheel speeds (most likely depending on their compressor maps).

MPD had a real simple way about routing the piping which was very intelligent, primary in to the intercooler, then out of the cooler into the secondary, then out of the secondary right around the oil filter in a U shape right into the intake elbow which was cut and spun around. Youre not cooling both stages but with the big turbo doing most of the work, its a very very easy way to avoid the cluster*** of piping

HobbyStock62

Reaction score
i like the setup that skinny has, but would like to keep the oil filter in stock location to cut price.

is there any downfall to not cooling both turbos with the MPD way?

for the fitting in upper pan, is a -12 enough? i would like to get that because i feel it would be smaller and an easier fit, but if a -16 would help longevity of seals, then i would do that.

windrunner408

Reaction score
MPD had a real simple way about routing the piping which was very intelligent, primary in to the intercooler, then out of the cooler into the secondary, then out of the secondary right around the oil filter in a U shape right into the intake elbow which was cut and spun around. Youre not cooling both stages but with the big turbo doing most of the work, its a very very easy way to avoid the cluster*** of piping

I'll agree that the primary turbo does the majority of the flowing of air, but I don't agree that it is what creates the majority of heat from compressing the air in the motor (that is done by the secondary turbo). Either way though, if it works, it works and that's cool but I'm with Lance down below and think that both his setup and Skinny's setup look just fine and cool the air of both stages of compression.

This doesn't look any less cluster****ish and still cools both stages...

image_zpsd49b0b3a.jpg

Latest posts