6637 not flowing enough?

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I think the covers are more for looks than anything. I dyno'ed just over 200hp on my completely stock 96 CA emissions OBS with a DIY Tymar with a filter cover on it, and the filter was almost a year old. If that truck was still alive I'd find another dyno and hit it again without the cover on to see if there's actually any difference.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
IMO they are only for looks or maybe at times where you are gonna be in a super dusty area where you also do not need max air flow.

Consider the total surface area of all those pleats in a filters media. Now compare that to just a single flat surface of a cover.

They actually charge more for covers with their name and logo on it compared to blank. Now that's is amusing.

Not trying to defend the covers - but comparing the surface area is not an accurate representation of flow volume, considering the micron rating of the 'cover' is substantially greater than the filter itself, and therefore not as 'restrictive'. I do agree ANY additional layer adds restriction and if it removes dirt from the air it is also 'clogging up' and reducing flow...

I mentioned them in response to the paper filter's resistance to water - aren't these supposed to mitigate water getting to filter?

FWIW, I've run a 6637 for 200k miles in my F350 and used a cover for about 50k. I took the cover off after reading about some who felt like they had more power/less smoke without it...

I too always thought it was funny people pay more to advertise!! :toast:

TARM

Reaction score
If you do the mod where you open up the piece behind the grill you will get water. Same with water easily jumping past the hood fender rain sill or lip whatever its called and flowing or just dripping onto the filter. It does happen. It has never happened on mine but I have seen it happen.

I see it as another bonus

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
If you do the mod where you open up the piece behind the grill you will get water. Same with water easily jumping past the hood fender rain sill or lip whatever its called and flowing or just dripping onto the filter. It does happen. It has never happened on mine but I have seen it happen.

I see it as another bonus

I've hear people say it happens, but I'm wondering what they're doing. I've hit the truck with a power washer with the hood closed and it never got the least bit wet.
I've been driving in torrential rains and really deep water (3-5 inches) at a fair speed, and it never for the least bit wet.

I just don't understand how they're getting the filter wet.

4duggan

Reaction score
:whs:

I have tried to get it wet , When its raining sideways, even if I am chillin and watchin football I will jump in my truck and make it to the interstate to wash my truck. The only time it gets washed unless the water truck at the quarry hits me by accident. I do run the donaldson because the hydraulic shop I deal with for work carries them for $35.

TARM

Reaction score
What happens is some have that drip rail not quite right and the water flows over it. Maybe the hood alignment is not perfect. On the hole cut in the front behind the grill: Come on if you have that cut and you spray water in there and there is no water inside the engine bay you must have really bad aim LOL

Personally what I am working on and I know some others have setup is removing the driver side bat. Piping the filter over to that grill opening and removing that backing plate completely. One guy had one not set that far forward but had that plastic piece removed and in a snow storm on the highway completely filled and covered his filter with snow.

But you are correct in that water is not that easy to get up there.

My only point is that on top of better filtration you have an added bonus of not having to worry about water spray with the Donaldson.

Consider I am running a Big Boost and in fact was one of the very first on the forums that started running one as far as I know. But I also am not one of these people were I have to argue that what I am running is the best at everything. Its not. It flows more than any other filter by a large margin. But compared to the Donaldson it does not filter as well. The Donaldson is best at that. I right now do not run on dusty dirt roads etc. I also have run UOA to confirm I have no issues and have no dust in my intake tracks.

But as soon as I plan to go off road/ hit loggin roads or plan on spending tons of time on gravel I will be switching back over to a Donaldson for those times. It takes all of 5 mins

Right tools for the job.

I am working on a new intake as I want to try creating a true RAM air "as in pressurized air box." Batteries are going to the frame.

Interested to see its effects during hwy speed cruising( EGTs, MPG, AIT Pre/Post IC, Boost/Drive PSI)

bad12jr

Reaction score
Prefilters do work and filter dust well. We race dirt cars and go karts. If you run with out a prefilter on a oiled cotton filter you can tell in the intakes and carbs. They will trap alot more then you think espcially fine dust.

Big Bore

Reaction score
But it does allow companies to get a bunch of free advertising. Some even charge more for allowing you the chance to advertise for them for free. They actually charge more for covers with their name and logo on it compared to blank. Now that's is amusing.

I've actually been laughing at this scam for years, it's like a twist on Tom Sawyer and painting the fence. I recently gave a online retailer that I buy a lot of stuff from a hard time about this. I don't understand people who actually pay companies to advertise for them. When I was building houses it was all the guys with DeWalt shirts. Now if they want to give me a shirt then I'll wear it. Many many years ago the first mods I did to my 96 F350 was a Banks kit (yea I know) and after spending $2500 on their parts they had the nerve to send me an offer to buy a t-shirt. I called up the sales guy and gave him a piece of my mind. I received a free shirt a few days later LOL.

Back to filtering. I've many hundreds of thousands of miles on several different trucks, cars and motorcycles using oiled filters. I live on a dirt road. Oiled filters will suck larger trapped particles through the filter when it gets dirty. I did the flashlite in the filter in a dark room one time and was shocked, this was on an AFE progaurd 7 btw. After that I decided to switch to paper. I will never run an oiled filter in a dusty environment ever again. I'm still not exactly sure what filter setup I'm going to use on the compound setup, but current idea is a dual Tymar.

genie144

Reaction score
So please don't laugh too hard... What would be the affects of "water" in the intake? I would assume (I use that word specifically for the other meaning...) that any water would be mist and would just cool the intake air. Any excess water at low boost pressures I would think would settle in the intercooler - so maybe corrosion of the intake track...

Sam

KPSquared

Reaction score
I've actually been laughing at this scam for years, it's like a twist on Tom Sawyer and painting the fence. I recently gave a online retailer that I buy a lot of stuff from a hard time about this. I don't understand people who actually pay companies to advertise for them. When I was building houses it was all the guys with DeWalt shirts. Now if they want to give me a shirt then I'll wear it. Many many years ago the first mods I did to my 96 F350 was a Banks kit (yea I know) and after spending $2500 on their parts they had the nerve to send me an offer to buy a t-shirt. I called up the sales guy and gave him a piece of my mind. I received a free shirt a few days later LOL.

Back to filtering. I've many hundreds of thousands of miles on several different trucks, cars and motorcycles using oiled filters. I live on a dirt road. Oiled filters will suck larger trapped particles through the filter when it gets dirty. I did the flashlite in the filter in a dark room one time and was shocked, this was on an AFE progaurd 7 btw. After that I decided to switch to paper. I will never run an oiled filter in a dusty environment ever again. I'm still not exactly sure what filter setup I'm going to use on the compound setup, but current idea is a dual Tymar.

Lots of people are stupid with the free advertising... Look at all the trucks with some huge company sticker in the rear window (Fox, Oakley, Burton, etc...) that they paid some graphics shop to put on there... I would gladly advertise for a company that I like if they paid me too...

I won't even let a dealership leave their sticker on the back of my car without working out some kind of deal... The last salesman I bought the car from didn't like that at all...

Ok, sorry for continuing the de-rail of this thread...please continue while I order a cover for my 6637 with DP Tuner logo on it... LOL

Marty

Reaction score
I am not here to say who is right or wrong, but I am going to state my experience which has been backed up with actual data.

FWIW.

I ran with and without a filter at the track.

EGT's were the same, the difference in track times and boost #'s were negligable.

This wasn't at 300-400 hp levels either... I'm pretty sure most of my 11 second runs were made with a single tymar filter on that had nearly 30k miles on it. Add to that... I am still running it to this day. It still pulls 55# of boost daily and I have no dirt in my intake.

My step dad's truck got a tymar 40k miles ago. Still haven't changed the filter, mileage/boost and performance have not changed besides the transmission starting to take a ****.

DcMoore

Reaction score
I won't even let a dealership leave their sticker on the back of my car without working out some kind of deal... The last salesman I bought the car from didn't like that at all...

Can't stand that sh!t..

Also I would run the 6637 and not look back... I live in Amarillo and it is one wind blowing dusty mother here.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Why do you want a Donaldson rather than a Napa...besides all the differencs that have been talked about its also cheaper.

Filter covers..reply from Dale:

Total waste of money from a performance perspective. They do everything they are not supposed to do. They lower flow by causing additional restriction, have no surface area for high volume, and are unnecessary if you use the properly rated element for the application.

From a filtration view, they can increase filtration efficiency in applications where the filter used has very poor filtration efficiency (ie: reusable/cleanable elements, K&N, AFE, etc). However, they do it will a substantially smaller surface area that has basically no capacity to speak of. It will also measurably affect your flow rate negatively from the increase of the restriction, because you are, in affect, adding an additional layer of filtration with no surface area.

Think about these numbers:
Surface area of Donaldson I use on the Tymar Intake: 4,000 sq in
Surface area of a K&N conical style: 975 sq in
Surface area of a filter cover: 150 sq in

Donaldson has 4 times the surface compared to the K&N, which is significant in its own right, but 270 times the surface area compared to the filter cover, making a filter cover nothing but a hindrance. Filter covers originated from reusable elements inability to filter the air of a dusty environment. Using a proper filter with a proper filtration efficiency and you don't need to worry about it.

Same thing with the guys using them to protect an open element using an improper filter from experiencing water mist. If you use a proper filter for the application that uses a hydrophobic (water resistant) filter media you don't need additional layers adding restriction and lowering flow to gain protection. Again, use a proper filter you don't need to worry about it.
--
Dale Isley
Tymar Performance

TARM

Reaction score
Hmm so basically exactly what I said.

The only time I see a use is when you are going to be in a known super dusty area such as off roading etc where you do not care about the hit you take in air flow and you are just trying to save some money by preventing the main filter from getting clogged up with the additional debris. But honestly if you shop around you can get the Donaldson for in the $20-$30 range and they tend to last well over a year. Even with heavy driving.

The other is when you want bling which while some may use pre filters to actual pre filter IMO the vast majority if they are being honest have them on for looks.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
What would be the affects of "water" in the intake?

A little 'water' in the intake wouldn't be much of a problem. However, chunks of water-soaked paper element could be...

I've always wondered about that possibility with a STOCK filter and zoodad mod - at 70mph in a driving rain, it seems unlikely the filter would remain dry. :shrug:

Good (re)post from Dale - thanks OBSWIZ! :clapping:

Latest posts

Members online