66mm drop in turbos

blk99

Reaction score
So i read a thread here while back that was all OBS guys that had some serious driveablity/EGT issues with the 66mm "stock style" turbos such as the D66 even with stage ones.... I have an E99 and its getting a 66mm with 360* thrust, van turbine and 1.15 housing and i tow 27-32k in mountains ALOT..... i have what i was told is 160/stock nozzle single shots but every tuner i have so far, says they tune like bigger cc or NOT stock nozzles....

Anyway....... and SD guys had the same issues? Because if there is not gonna be an improvement towing, EGT wise, a S366 will be on its way shortly.....

I will try to find that thread.....

Swaan

Reaction score
Either put a good upgrade wheel in your stock turbo with a 1.00 housing or go t4 with a s366 or lasb. Don't waste your time with the drop in 66

Krause

Reaction score
and i tow 27-32k in mountains ALOT......

:shocked:

Screw the turbo thing, I would look into a medium class truck. Your life might depend on it.

FTW: T4 with a BASB

Billy T.
[email protected]

Yep Ive got to second this. 30 grand is well above (2.5x..?) what these trucks were ever designed for. It's well over what a brand new F450 is spec'ed for. Thats scary....

blk99

Reaction score
First off, 30k GROSS is nothing crazy....

Second.......Guys, i dont need a lecture on weights.... upgraded brakes on truck and trailer, exhaust brake, everything is kept in good working order and i drive with my brain screwed on and keep an eye out for stupid drivers..... been at it for years

This is a turbo thread, can we please keep it to that?

pullandpray

Reaction score
Tuning is gonna be key, I have a 468 and tow As much as what your saying You gotta keep the charger lit. These ol 7.3s tow like a mule, only way to tell is try It

Krause

Reaction score
First off, 30k GROSS is nothing crazy....

Agreed, I jumped to conclusions there. The rest of the post (responsible driving/equipment) cant be assumed anymore, People are dumb ...

Yes, it can be kept a turbo thread, no mean to hijack. A T4 setup with BASB seems to be the thing. A few guys run/have run S366's, main complaint seems to be that they are just behind the turbo cruising on highway. That said, with that much weight and extra resistance, you may be into the 366 no problems. The 366's are considerably more affordable than a BASB.

Ive never driven in a BASB truck, but unloaded my S366 with billet wheel seems to be pretty much right there on the highway. I feel like if I was towing something it would be half spooled all the time :shrug:

blk99

Reaction score
Agreed, I jumped to conclusions there. The rest of the post (responsible driving/equipment) cant be assumed anymore, People are dumb ...

Yes, it can be kept a turbo thread, no mean to hijack. A T4 setup with BASB seems to be the thing. A few guys run/have run S366's, main complaint seems to be that they are just behind the turbo cruising on highway. That said, with that much weight and extra resistance, you may be into the 366 no problems. The 366's are considerably more affordable than a BASB.

Ive never driven in a BASB truck, but unloaded my S366 with billet wheel seems to be pretty much right there on the highway. I feel like if I was towing something it would be half spooled all the time :shrug:
Agreed, on average, people are idiots Lol

What gears do you have?

I dont do alot of OD, flat land freeway towing but when i do, i would hate to be under the charger.... 3.73s, 65mph im at about 1800rpm

Krause

Reaction score
Agreed, on average, people are idiots Lol

What gears do you have?

I dont do alot of OD, flat land freeway towing but when i do, i would hate to be under the charger.... 3.73s, 65mph im at about 1800rpm

I have SD axles, 3.73's, 35 inch tires. At 65 I'll be at about 1650 or so. I dont think you would have an issue spooling a 366, but Im not an expert with this. On the highway in OD, Unloaded, if I need to pass there is alot of boost on hand with just a slight increase in throttle. If I was towing, I feel like it would already be there.
*I havnt towed with this setup, so Im not the right guy to be talking. But like I said, the S366 is more affordable, so sometimes compromises have to be made.. *

blk99

Reaction score
Soooo..... the BASB vs the S366.... can anyone explain the differences a little more? I am driving as usual so research is tough....
Not a fan of the $2800? price tag of the basb but if it sounds surperior, i guess thats the route to go....

gnxtc2

Reaction score
The BASB does not cost $2800.

The BASB has a 64.5mm compressor wheel vs 66mm on the 366.

Exhaust housing on the BASB is 1.10 vs .90 (I think) on the 366. I don't know if the exhaust wheels are the same.

The BASB has lower drive pressure.

The BASB is now available with a billet wheel and it'll probably be standard in the near future.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

blk99

Reaction score
I also have noticed there are WW2's for the 366.... anybody have experience with these? wondering if it would actually hinder performance like the billet 66 wheel in the stock turbo does... ?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I also have noticed there are WW2's for the 366.... anybody have experience with these? wondering if it would actually hinder performance like the billet 66 wheel in the stock turbo does... ?

I wouldnt compare it to what happens in a stock turbo. Its not.

That said wheel design will dictate what it does. If its a single plane wheel it will most likely be a higher performance wheel and intended for top end power. An arrangement with half long and half short or a varied vane will be there to whip air in the median frequencies and will suffer on top. Pick your poison.

blk99

Reaction score
copy!

I gotta talk to the old lady but looking at Irates site (cant seem to find T4 Kits anywhere else :/ ) Its not really much cheaper to go S366 vs. BASB..... I have had a chance to read some on the BASB and the lower RPM spool up, even compared to a 38R, is VERY enticing......

Latest posts

Members online