7.3 and fire ringed heads...

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I am going to have my heads sent to Nate and checked out and if they are good fire ringed.. The only concern i have with this is when i searched it back on the old site there was quite a few threads that said they would fail pretty quickly in a daily driven setup because of the heat cycles. Is there any truth to this or has the issue been overcome these threads were from 2009 or 2008?

Also the truck is mainly not a daily driven vehicle more like a sunday driver or if the gas getter goes down ill use it for a day or so to get to work.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Fire rings will crack, O-ring it if anything. Unless you are pushing a LOT of horsepower I would just stud it with factory gaskets.

Detox

Reaction score
Mine never cracked on my DD 7.3 and I beat the snot out of it and pulled it

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I'm wondering if like Charles or any of the compounds guys that are seeing high boost numbers run them I'm wanting to push 85 lbs or so when it's all said and done I know for a fact stock gaskets won't keep up

TARM

Reaction score
You need to ask this question over in the 7.3 aftermarket section. That is where the guys with they read the most. Also IMO listen to the guys that are actually running them on the 7.3. I have not but I also have not heard of any of the guys that are ever mention having to do any kind of regular retq as part of a maintenance schedule. Maybe in the very beginning a couple of hot tq but that is all I recall hearing about.

why not ask Nate he is a straight up guy.

Blowby

Reaction score
Many miles DD and all the fun times at the track and dyno's. Never had a problem 78K miles on one build and about 6K on this build. Peak boost is 105psi. Fire Rings are from the WOP crew so I don't know if the supplier is the same for the other shops. Groove spec's and a hot re-torque are of the utmost importance.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Hmmm, is it just a Cummins thing on them cracking with DD use then? I dont have any personal experience, just was always told to o-ring DD heads because fire rings will crack. Listen to Blowby, he actually has experience....

907DAVE

Reaction score
Zero issues with mine so far. Truck has gone through some extreme heat cycles (-65 - 200) for the past few years. Truck is daily driven and has seen over 70psi on numerous occasions.

TARM

Reaction score
Hmmm, is it just a Cummins thing on them cracking with DD use then? I dont have any personal experience, just was always told to o-ring DD heads because fire rings will crack. Listen to Blowby, he actually has experience....

I have seen the same info as you have posted on them. All I can think of is maybe the size number and position of the head stud and the effect on clamping force may have something to do with it. Might be the way the heads and gaskets are designed for this use.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I did run it by Nate he felt it would be necessary to machine both the block and the heads to accept the fire rings... It's looking more and more like he may get the whole motor to deal with. I'd like to have everything ran through and checked. I think he is the only reputable person within reasonable distance to me

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I have seen the same info as you have posted on them. All I can think of is maybe the size number and position of the head stud and the effect on clamping force may have something to do with it. Might be the way the heads and gaskets are designed for this use.

Buddy of mine has/had a pretty hot VP44 24V (600hp +/-) that he daily drove. Of all the problems he had, fire rings weren't one of 'em.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
The secret to fire rings living in any application is the initial setup. Having the right depths and having good flat surfaces to start with. Nate can take care of this for you. I just had him fix some fire ring grooves for me not too long ago.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Who did your fire rings blowby? Id like to just get away with a head only groove if i could and leave the block alone except have it decked flat to match the heads if your holding that much boost it gives me a little faith.

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
We use the EXACT same supplier that Wide Open used.

Head only will "work", However it is recommended (Even per Wide Open Performance Instructions) that "if" you are seeking anything over 80PSI of boost, that both sides be grooved. We have the gaskets kits in stock that include the gaskets, fire rings, steam port bushings, and orings. We can machine one surface or both. it makes no difference to us. We can even do a hot retorque without the PITA of having it installed in the vehicle...

I am a firm believer in doing it once. If one side is good, and two sides is better, then I would go with both sides, because you don't want to do it twice. That is just my .02, we will do it however the customer wants it done.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I have not even diagnosed what is wrong with this thing yet.. Whether it be a cracked head, block, or a bad oil cooler. Weighing my options is all but the more I think on it it's gonna end up in your hands Nate I just need to get with you on what I want done and a price tag.. I'll give you a shout tomorrow gotta get you paid up on my injectors anyways.

P.S. Very impressed with how fast it was done

Latest posts

Members online