7.3 brakes on a 6.7 axle

Reaction score
I don't readily have a 7.3 around to check but was curious if anyone knew if the rear 16" brake setup would bolt to a 6.7 axle? I'm wanting to go to a smaller caliper to fit some custom race wheels.

Motostroker

Reaction score
Can you just shave the caliper? I think Craig did that with king kobg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
what size rim were you hoping to fit Dallas?

if it is 16", 15 mins with an angle grinder and you will be golden. smaller than that i doubt is possible without changing calipers...

Reaction score
I want to run 16's. Not really wanting to grind on the calipers. I'd much rather swap components.

I did find some information though. It looks like I can swap the hubs, caliper bracket, caliper and rotor and it will bolt on.

If anyone has any more experience, I'm all ears.

Motostroker

Reaction score
I'll look it up, somewhere is a list of all OEM part #'s to backdate

Halestorm55

Reaction score
Hey dallas just from going back and measuring parts on the shelf. 7.3 rotors are .03 taller overall with the same hub center bore and right about the same height from the inner hub flange to the backside of the rotor itself. Caliper mounts have the same spacing and thread pattern. The only measurable change that could be a problem is the 7.3 rotors inner brake surface edge are 11.0625 where the later 6.7 are 11.3125 so it could possibly rub on the abs cable. Otherwise it should be a direct swap on the front without measuring it on the truck though I'm not sure.

Halestorm55

Reaction score
Looks like you do have to swap everything on the rear to the 7.3 stuff as it is the same rotor and hub 05+. The 7.3 is over an inch shorter on the rotor.

Halestorm55

Reaction score
Well I guess it helps if you look at the big number on the tape measure. The 6.7 caliper mount is exactly 2" longer so you will need the 7.3 knuckles on the front as well. So much for a cheap brake upgrade on mine.

Jomax

Reaction score
Would changing the hubs to a 99-2004 make it narrower? I'm trying to install a rear axle on my 99 to match the front. I wonder if just changing what you want off your truck would make it as wide. If so, maybe we could work something out?

Reaction score
I'm honestly looking for just the hubs and brake components from the rear. They will bolt on my housing.

Anyone want to sell just those parts so we don't have to ship an entire axle?

Reaction score
Would changing the hubs to a 99-2004 make it narrower? I'm trying to install a rear axle on my 99 to match the front. I wonder if just changing what you want off your truck would make it as wide. If so, maybe we could work something out?

Just swapping the hubs doesn't change the width of the axle itself. That's the reason behind just swapping the necessary components to run the smaller brakes on my axle. That way I can keep the same width.

psduser1

Reaction score

I think the 99s are different than the 00 and up?

Jomax

Reaction score
I think the 99s are different than the 00 and up?

Brake calipers are, one mounts towards the front and one towards the rear. Other then that, I believe they are the same.

On 2000+,both calipers mount on the rear of the axle.

psduser1

Reaction score
Thanks, couldn't remember for sure. Been a while since I've had to look at the earlier setup.
My 00 had that setup, originally, actually a l99 build.
Been a few days since it changed.

Reaction score
Brake calipers are, one mounts towards the front and one towards the rear. Other then that, I believe they are the same.

On 2000+,both calipers mount on the rear of the axle.

That is correct. The caliper mounting is different.

Latest posts

Members online