7.3 cold smoke

Nick7.3

Reaction score
My 7.3 hazes like no other when the truck is cold. Once it warms up there is no haze what so ever. My injector o rings are new with about 5k miles on them. I have full force 160/100s with approx 25k miles and a 38r with about 15k on them. I'm running tuning from ********. Could it be hpop related? my pump only spits out 2700 psi with high duty cycle at WOT.
408323acba03abba551906bb7616c5d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaybuller

Reaction score
Could just be injectors needing to be redone. I had the exact problem with cold smoke with my 160/30 sticks. I chased my tail for two years trying to fix it with everything but the injectors (because after all they were new rebuilds with new orings) so when custom tuning, new Idm, all new glow plugs, uvch, Vc, new gpr and new cables. None of that improved the cold starting hard or the cold start smoke I decided to pull the injectors and send them back to get checked out.
First thing I noticed was a few of the new orings(less than 10k miles) were completely shot and falling apart. Well I seen t them in and they readjusted the oil side and put new orings on there and wallah. I have a easy starting non cold smoking truck! So after you rule out everything else pull the sticks and get them fixed.

mandkole

Reaction score
How long have you been working with the tuner? It could be injectors as well, but likely not the pump. Idle demand is not a struggle for even the worst running pumps.

Mine hazes like a mofo until the oil is over 100F. I have FF injs with 100 nozzles. Tuning gives a lot of PW at idle--seems like far more than necessary. Ive noted is that my EOT sensor never reads the same as air temp when the oil is dead cold. Its always 30F higher. Cold tuning is managed a lot with oil temp data, so Im going to spend a few bucks on a sensor.

Nick7.3

Reaction score
Haven't brought it up to the tuner. Also I have all new harnesses and glow plugs relay and a swamps idm. Also have walbro 255 and irate regulated return

dsberman94

Reaction score
I've got smokey cold starts too running GH tunes. Using the block heater it is almost not there. Just a puff at first. I have good glow plugs and a new relay in the spring. I'm just taking it as the nature of the beast in cold weather with larger than stock injectors and emailed tunes.

firehunter

Reaction score
Could just be injectors needing to be redone. I had the exact problem with cold smoke with my 160/30 sticks. I chased my tail for two years trying to fix it with everything but the injectors (because after all they were new rebuilds with new orings) so when custom tuning, new Idm, all new glow plugs, uvch, Vc, new gpr and new cables. None of that improved the cold starting hard or the cold start smoke I decided to pull the injectors and send them back to get checked out.
First thing I noticed was a few of the new orings(less than 10k miles) were completely shot and falling apart. Well I seen t them in and they readjusted the oil side and put new orings on there and wallah. I have a easy starting non cold smoking truck! So after you rule out everything else pull the sticks and get them fixed.

Very similar parts and experience as you except when I sent my 160/30's back to Nate they said they were perfectly fine. At the time Matt said he was more experienced tuning 80% nozzles so they swapped me for 160/80's with basically no change in cold smoke. Hard starting is not an issue for me with any of the three sets of injectors I have had in it (AD's, 160/30, 160/80) and I have started my truck below zero on the GP's only. I have a hydra and received multiple test tunes from Matt with no change in idle smoke on any of them. I live out in the sticks so most of the time it is not an issue for me but when I stay the night in town it fogs out the neighborhood with eye watering smoke that is very annoying. For the most part, I have given up on it and just drive it. My history with this subject is documented HERE

jaybuller

Reaction score
Nice! Haha well mine actually was throwing an Idm code high to low side open when cold as well as the smoke. And mine was deffinetly harder to start. (Almost impossible below zero with out plugged up) . Now it is back to normal, no smoke and easy to start so far(only been down to 14 yet since the problem has been fixed but it fired as soon as the key was turned with zero smoke. The tune I'm running is from PHP tunes by Jay Chatham. It is perfect! Mabey give him a try?

Nick7.3

Reaction score
Could a plugged ccv cause it to haze worse? The kid who put my turbo in had my ccv hose slid into the dog house and it was kinked. I pulled it off and used the factory 90 and routed over the brake booster. Started it up once so far and it hazed for a few seconds then was gone

Latest posts

Members online