7.3 compound turbos

dsberman94

Reaction score
10-4... side note, how often do you hear of a 38r needing rebuilt... dont believe i have heard it yet on this forum...

live life full throttle

Just read about one not too long ago. Took the truck to DYNOPROVEN for a different part, may a hpop, and the 38r was trashed. Had a pretty decent amount of shaft play. 100k miles on it iirc. The owner just ended up getting a brute 66 from DP at that point.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Just read about one not too long ago. Took the truck to DYNOPROVEN for a different part, may a hpop, and the 38r was trashed. Had a pretty decent amount of shaft play. 100k miles on it iirc. The owner just ended up getting a brute 66 from DP at that point.

He also had no idea it was trashed. So was it?

TyCorr

Reaction score
My point was more it shouldnt be stated because we didnt know. I highly doubt some 100% nozzles roached it but whatever...

old man dave

Reaction score
They are not really rebuildable, and there have been a few people who have trashed them in compound setups.

They are rebuildable, my buddy's kid had the new 38r I gave him rebuilt. Problem is it costs almost as much as just buying a new 38r. Turbo had sat for a long time and apparently rusted the bearings and fried itself after 3/4 mile in a stock truck...LOL

jngreen

Reaction score
They are rebuildable, my buddy's kid had the new 38r I gave him rebuilt. Problem is it costs almost as much as just buying a new 38r. Turbo had sat for a long time and apparently rusted the bearings and fried itself after 3/4 mile in a stock truck...LOL

Correct, you can buy a new center section for almost the cost of a new turbo.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Not looking to start an argument but I have always stood by my belief that if everything is set up correctly and sized accordingly, a gate is not needed and the chargers should spool almost as well as a undersized set with gates. I did it with my truck 5 years ago with a hx55/s4t set. 65psi of boost in the street tunes and 1100* egts. Chargers were at full song by 2200rpm cruised 65mph at 5psi, by far the best setup for a fun street truck I had on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Not looking to start an argument but I have always stood by my belief that if everything is set up correctly and sized accordingly, a gate is not needed and the chargers should spool almost as well as a undersized set with gates. I did it with my truck 5 years ago with a hx55/s4t set. 65psi of boost in the street tunes and 1100* egts. Chargers were at full song by 2200rpm cruised 65mph at 5psi, by far the best setup for a fun street truck I had on it.

correct.. and that sounds like a blast to drive!

live life full throttle

DocBar

Reaction score
That was me and that is accurate.

psduser1

Reaction score

Would you be willing to elaborate?

I've always been told, and in fact bought a setup that included waste gates from well respected vendor here. I since decided not to do that setup, simply because reliability is more important on that truck, so all the stuff is on the shelf, still.

TyCorr

Reaction score
His thinking is outlined and clear...and its exactly why ive thought people choose chargers that are too small all the time.

If the chargers are sized properly a gate is not needed. A gate is used to vent to atmosphere or divert to another part of the system drive pressure. If housing and charger size are selected based on cfm and careful attention to the turbo maps and pr of each charger, you dont need to gate off pressure you worked so hard to get.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Exactly what Ty said, also head porting, cam and injector selection play a role in it. Everything has to work together.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.