7.3 coolant in oil

ju015dd

Reaction score
did the cups you used come in individually wrapped Motorcraft bags?

seen some places advertise they are selling Motorcraft cups (and other parts), but they aren't actually shipping FoMoCo parts.

Can't honestly remember. For some reason I don't believe they we're in bags but could be wrong. I purchased them from riff raff though. And I believe they only use genuine parts.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I would pour oil down every bore, bar the motor over and do it again... Get everything coated with oil and away from all that coolant.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I've seen one do this before and it had munched a exhaust valve and cracked the head on the way out it was pretty incredible the amount of coolant that came out of that thing. Good that you found the problem though

ju015dd

Reaction score
I've seen one do this before and it had munched a exhaust valve and cracked the head on the way out it was pretty incredible the amount of coolant that came out of that thing. Good that you found the problem though

I just hope mine gets by with just needing new cups. Crossing my fingers

lucasm12798

Reaction score
I had this problem a few weeks back. I pulled the engine and turns out I had somehow managed to rip a gasket on the back of the water pump right beside an oil passage. I replaced the gasket and it hasn't lost coolant since

TyCorr

Reaction score
I had this problem a few weeks back. I pulled the engine and turns out I had somehow managed to rip a gasket on the back of the water pump right beside an oil passage. I replaced the gasket and it hasn't lost coolant since

That is interesting!

Macon

Reaction score
Anti-freeze doesn't eat bearing material. The amount of oil being replaced with coolant eats the bearings. Water is a poor lubricant, and that will tear up bearings mighty quick.

Personally, I say pull the motor and replace the bearings. But, you may have done no damage. Fix the leak, monitor closely. At the first sound of something bad, shut it down and pull the engine. The down side to the latter plan is that there is a much higher risk of destroying the engine and needing a new block instead of just a rebuild kit.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Got the old cups out and new ones installed today. When I get home from work tomorrow evening I plan on putting water in the system and pressurizing it to see what happens. It will be either fixed or not. .......

ju015dd

Reaction score
Well, new cups in and holding 15 psi of coolant pressure. Barred engine over quit a few more times and seems good. Will be cleaning up injectors and do a compression test sometime in the next few days to verify numbers.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Well she is alive once again and everything looks to be perfect. Compression on all cylinders was 400 psi. Coolant test passed. Still working on getting all the oily residue out of coolant system. Gonna drain it all tommorow and do another oil chamge to work on getting much of the bad oil out I could. Truck is running like a champ tonight. Finally after almost 5 years I might just have it right.....

ghohouston

Reaction score
Go buy a big box of the powdered cascade dish soap, it does wonders for cleaning oil out coolant systems. Obviously don't dump the whole thing in there, maybe a cup or so at a time. That's how I've always done it, and it works well. Flush flush flush

ju015dd

Reaction score
Go buy a big box of the powdered cascade dish soap, it does wonders for cleaning oil out coolant systems. Obviously don't dump the whole thing in there, maybe a cup or so at a time. That's how I've always done it, and it works well. Flush flush flush

Will have to try that too. Have run simple green through it so far. I don't know how i screwed up the cup install on my first go round bit I made damn sure they went right the second instal . Been grinning all day after getting the rig back on the road.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've always just filled it with water and run, drain, again, drain, again... LOL.

Gravel driveway doesnt mind a little oil.

mustube

Reaction score
I also like powdered cascade for cleaning the coolant system, just make sure you flush the heck out of it afterwards. I usually just open the radiator drain valve and let it drain out and keep it topped off for a while with the engine running and then switch to coolant/distiller water

ju015dd

Reaction score
This is pretty much what I did but with simple green. Got her all topped off with elc coolant and it's looking pretty good so far.

Latest posts

Members online