7.3 cps constantly failing

jameson731

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i have an 01 f250 with the 7.3. I have changed the cps over the last 2 years 5 times. Today being the 5th. When i change it the truck runs great and i have bo problems for about 5-7 months. Then out of nowhere the random stalling, stutter at low rpm, and other common cps symptoms. Ive never had one fail though to the point where the vehicle wont start again. To me it seams crazy that the sensors are failing like clock work every 5-7 months. Ive tried using several different ones and none have had a difference in life span. Ive used ford oem replacement, tried advance auto/autozone ones, and the one i just took out was for the older style powerstrokes that people have been using in the super duties. Is there something else i should be looking into that could be causing them to fail so quickly? Ive searched around but havent found anything with failures like this. Any help is greatly appreciated

TyCorr

Reaction score
I personally don't understand how they fail even. Isnt 8t a ***kin magnet and the wires complete the circuit created by the tone gear and magnet?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Are there any marks on the front face of the CPS when you pull it out. You could have a loose cam gear.

These are my thoughts as well. Have seen it a handful of times.

I have also seen trucks go through cam sensors for no apparent reason. Just bad luck I guess.

Also check the wiring harness for the cam sensor. Make sure you do not have any breaks or corrosion anywhere. That can cause problems.

jameson731

Reaction score
Got a chance to look at the old sensor. No marking on the outside of it anywhere. I did have a couple small stutters and surges though today with the new cps. They werent nearly as bad as they were with the last cps though. I must have another problem this time. I will have to look into possible icp or ipr.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Any chance it could be the fan blowing it back and forth causing a break in the wires?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I wouldnt think thats plausible. You have air coming through without the fan. You have more if its on but not where it'd be pulsing in that it could oscillate the pigtail.

But who knows. Id probably just inspect it and possibly repair it.

79jasper

Reaction score
That's what I was maybe thinking.
But if a person had too much slack in the wire or missing the loom holder on the water pump bolt.
Who knows, just something I was looking at the other day. Lol

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Any chance it could be the fan blowing it back and forth causing a break in the wires?

I don't think that would cause issue, but maybe. Any little tiny fault in the CPS system can cause problems, as many people have found out throughout the years.

jameson731

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. I'm moving into a new house this weekend, so hopefully i will be able to look over some things Sunday and report back.

Latest posts