7.3 cranks but no start

Franly

Reaction score
Hello.. Having problems with my psd. Driving on the interstate truck would loose power then suddenly regain it. Came to a stop and it shut down but started right up. Later that day returning home from work it shut down coming to a stop and never restarted since. By the symptoms and without a scanner first thing I did was replace the CPS (did oil change and fuel filter at same time) which was purchased from the ford dealer, didn't fix problem. At that point I ordered the AE ford enhanced scan tool. Scanned it and codes found were for ICP and EBP sensors.. codes P1211 and P0470. Pulled plug off ICP and it was wet with oil. Drained some fuel from filter bowl and checked that it filled back up. My question is would either one of these sensors cause it to not start?

ICP with ignition on
.19 volts
14.84 duty cycle

ICP while cranking
40.70 psi
.29 volts
64.84 duty cycle

Any ideas or other tests I should run with the scanner? I need this back on the road!

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
have you attempted to crank with ICP sensor disconnected? what does it show? It should attempt a 750psi default crank.

For the 1211, its saying the ICP is not meeting command. Id be looking at IPR issues (IPR and injector oring leaks, IPR plunger sticking, electrical issues with IPR solenoid magnet, etc)

Franly

Reaction score
@mandkole.. I've disconnected the ICP sensor and still no start. Didn't check what the psi with it like that though.

Franly

Reaction score
@KBMKVIII ..thanks.. would that sensor cause it to not start? Is there any tests with AE I can run to test IPR? Thanks in advance guys!

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
The icp sensor tells the ecu what the oil press is to the injectors.
Idm will not fire the injectors without seeing sufficient pressure.
When mine went bad I was near the same reading as you have seen on my AE.
Also it was intermittent.
So yes it will cause a no start.

Tapatalking from a wind turbine

Franly

Reaction score
The icp sensor tells the ecu what the oil press is to the injectors.
Idm will not fire the injectors without seeing sufficient pressure.
When mine went bad I was near the same reading as you have seen on my AE.
Also it was intermittent.
So yes it will cause a no start.

Tapatalking from a wind turbine
Thanks for that explanation!

Franly

Reaction score
Changed the ICP and it started!
ICP readings at idle

PSI 515
Volts .75
Duty cycle 8.98

Idled rough and engine light is on. AE scan shows

P1316- IDM codes detected
P0478- EPC valve high
P0470- Exhaust pressure sensor

Did a contribution test and came up with

P0263- Cylinder 1 injector circuit contribution / balance fault

P0281- Cylinder 7 injector circuit contribution / balance fault

Franly

Reaction score
Forgot to mention passenger VC was removed to check connection with cylinder 7 injector. Recently replaced that injector due to knock from that cylinder but did not fix knock (bad rod bearing? ). Never had an issue with cylinder 1 injector so maybe valve cover harness?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Forgot to mention passenger VC was removed to check connection with cylinder 7 injector. Recently replaced that injector due to knock from that cylinder but did not fix knock (bad rod bearing? ). Never had an issue with cylinder 1 injector so maybe valve cover harness?

knock or more of a thump? id venture a bent pushrod before a bearing issue..

live life full throttle

Franly

Reaction score
knock or more of a thump? id venture a bent pushrod before a bearing issue..

live life full throttle
To me sounds like like a bottom end knock. Either way it's definitely from cylinder 7 because disconnecting that injector the knock goes away. Thought I would try my luck replacing that injector with a rebuilt one but did not resolve the issue. Makes me think pressure in that cylinder from injector doing its job is causing either failing rod or bearing to make that noise. Engine is a 2000 with 280k miles. Thinking drive it over the winter and then swap engine vs rebuild

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
To me sounds like like a bottom end knock. Either way it's definitely from cylinder 7 because disconnecting that injector the knock goes away. Thought I would try my luck replacing that injector with a rebuilt one but did not resolve the issue. Makes me think pressure in that cylinder from injector doing its job is causing either failing rod or bearing to make that noise. Engine is a 2000 with 280k miles. Thinking drive it over the winter and then swap engine vs rebuild

id still pull pushrods..

live life full throttle

Franly

Reaction score
id still pull pushrods..

live life full throttle
Just looked at a few videos on broken/bent 7.3 pushrods and they sound more like a thumping from the intake. I'll try to get a video of the sound up tomorrow.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.