7.3 Excursion Won't Shift to 2nd gear

kwbrown22

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 2002 7.3 Excursion, Auto Trans with 265,XXX miles on it. It has been shifting great no issues until yesterday. I pulled off from a stop light after driving about 20 minutes and could feel it wasn't quite right, like it wasn't pulling. As I accelerated it just revved up to 3500 or so RPMs and I had to let off of the accelerator for it to shift. Finally if shifted into second gear, and drove fine until I came to a stop. Started to do the same thing. After those two times it went back to shifting perfect. Drove around all day without further issue. Later in the day it did it once again. But after that drove fine. I checked the fluid level it is pink and full. I just bought the truck and have receipts where the fluid and filter was changed. The O/D light was not flashing when this was happening and no check engine lights. I do have a PHP tuner but it was in the stock setting. Anybody have any insight on what might be going on.
Thanks
Kenny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost1776

Reaction score
Are you able to check the temp of the trans as you drive it? If everything is checking out ok could be loose feed bolts. Def might be worth researching. Possible shift solenoid as well..

kwbrown22

Reaction score
I will have to drive it around tonight with my scanner on it to check fluid temp. And to see if I can get it to act up. Was driving perfect this morning. If I get it to act up, I will upload the data from the scanner see if you guys see anything off. I was thinking the solenoid block or accumulator body, maybe one of the valves hanging up. I would think if it was a hard part, like clutch,sprag or the like it would do it all the time.

Last edited:

Ghost1776

Reaction score
Sounds good I'll check back in later to see if you figured anything out.

fastersteve

Reaction score
Just went through this with mine.

Ended up being the PCM.

It acted up for several days, then worked flawlessly for 3 weeks, just enough to lull me into a sense of confidence. A 5 hour tow home(normally 3 1/2) in 2nd gear shattered that.

Solenoid pack connector was oily, replaced the solenoid pack and it worked for 2 weeks until I got 2 1/2 hrs away from home. Dropped out of 4th, 1st and 2nd only.

I talked with David at Swamps, all I can say is their customer service is outrageously outstanding!!!!
Sending my core back in a few days.

kwbrown22

Reaction score
264be6756c1a820880870f6d7ef7fe26.jpg

I have these faults stored...if that helps...

kwbrown22

Reaction score
I am wondering if the Hydra Tuner is causing this issue. The truck when I bought it already had the connectors cleaned, but they were down to copper. Wondering if it is a poor connection. With the weather changing; cool at night warmer during the day.

fastersteve

Reaction score
You can try that.The onlydifference it made on mine was I got 1st gear only without it but 1st and 2nd with it.
Like I said, mine with the same symptoms was the PCM.

You need to research that P1670 code as it could be PCM related.

Good luck!

kwbrown22

Reaction score
I haven't had issues since I pulled and reseated my chip

Ghost1776

Reaction score
264be6756c1a820880870f6d7ef7fe26.jpg

I have these faults stored...if that helps...

P1211 is a common code thrown when you have a chip. No worries on that. Just means hpop can't keep up with what ur asking it to do. Reset it drive normal and recheck for that code.

P1670 might be a idm problem.

P0238 more than likely is a overboost code but could be wrong. Good boost fooler could solve that issue if that is what it is. But check the map and the map lines just to be safe.

Last edited:

kwbrown22

Reaction score
Yea, I ran the KOEO and KOEO test, only faults that came back was the intake air heater fault, which I have ******d. Ran contribution test and came back with 0 faults.

Ghost1776

Reaction score
Yea, I ran the KOEO and KOEO test, only faults that came back was the intake air heater fault, which I have ******d. Ran contribution test and came back with 0 faults.

Awesome so all is good then I assume?

kwbrown22

Reaction score
Started acting up again. OD light started flashing this time. Fault P0781 1-2 shift error. Guess my first step is pulling the pan and checking for metal and clutch in the pan...

fastersteve

Reaction score
Not unusual in my opinion. I've seen similar in every pan I've ever pulled.

Maybe others will chime in.

kwbrown22

Reaction score
Transmission was done. No first gear clutches left. Bought a stage 1 trans. Solved my issue

Latest posts

Members online