7.3 hpop issues???

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ok i will do some checking tonight i guess that's what was getting me was that i don't even have lpo coming out of the hpop. is there a way to diassemble the hpop and check it out? and i don't believe its injectors because the lines are not connected to the hpop and i have nothing coming out of the hpop and the should be aflood of oil just by cranking it as i have learned in the past.
or your lpop craped out! that is not good..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

Erik307

Reaction score
and like mentioned previously when it quit it was weird just sputtered to a stop like it was out of fuel restarted once and then nothing after that.

Erik307

Reaction score
i know my lpop is good my guage goes up while cranking and i took the plug out of the hpop reservoir and oil poured out as i cranked

rusty1161

Reaction score
okay so I got my new ipr yesterday I put it in last night with that said still no high pressure oil I have 12 volts to the connector for the ipr. I am just not getting any high pressure oil now correct me if im wrong as long at the hpop is working and the ipr is working I should make high pressure oil while cranking no matter what? i did the harness over the valve covers and the uvch and gaskets were replaced when i did the injectors. i guess im really not new to these trucks i have delt with them a lot most of the little things that can cause no start issues i have already checked. im just not firniliar with the hpop after replacing the ipr and still building no pressure and i mean it barely trickles out the fitting on the hpop while cranking im sure it must be hpop unless there is something im not seeing that will prevent hpop from building pressure.:fustrate:

How did the harness look?

Rusty

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i know my lpop is good my guage goes up while cranking and i took the plug out of the hpop reservoir and oil poured out as i cranked
you just said before my last post that you didn't have that?

live life full throttle

Erik307

Reaction score
you just said before my last post that you didn't have that?

live life full throttle

no i meant that i there wasn't any low pressure oil coming out of the pump you would think it would push through if the pump were doing its job my bad i didn't explain. but yes i have lpo coming into the reservoir for the hpop

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
no i meant that i there wasn't any low pressure oil coming out of the pump you would think it would push through if the pump were doing its job my bad i didn't explain. but yes i have lpo coming into the reservoir for the hpop
is it pumping out of the top sight screw?

live life full throttle

Erik307

Reaction score
if by top right screw you mean the plug on the hpop reservoir then yes, so just for thhe hell of it it replaced the ipr pigtail and made no difference. I read online to check for leaks in the hpop by applying air so I put ait to the high pressure outlet on the pump and it is leaking out of the pump and sounds to be coming from where the gear is located I took the cover off for the gear and im positive there is a lot of air coming out somewhere right there. not sure what that means but from what I have read there shouldn't be any leak back because air shouldn't be able to get past the pistons in the pump?

TARM

Reaction score
If you want to check the HPOP dead head it into the gauge but only crank a few times. If it is building any pressure at all you will see it spike fast as the oil has no place to go but to the gauge.

Erik307

Reaction score
Ok so i now have a new ipr and hpop installed i am getting a much higher volume of oil to the heads but it doesnt seem to be building pressure? Im completely baffled.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
Didn't these trucks have the suction tube get a crack or something like that in the pan and they would pull air into the oil. Is it possible that you are aerating air into the oil and the hpop can't build enough pressure to the 500# minimum to fire the injectors. I know they would over fill the pan to check this. By the way I know it sounds stupid but did you check the oil level.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Ok so i now have a new ipr and hpop installed i am getting a much higher volume of oil to the heads but it doesnt seem to be building pressure? Im completely baffled.

So you got oil to the heads?

1. Put a gauge in the plug on the top of the HPOP reservoir....verify pressure.

2. Deadhead the HPOP and check for pressure....verify pressure.

3. Plug one HPOP hose. Attach other hose to driver side head. Read ICP via scan tool. Then do the same to the passenger side head. For the passenger reading, either move the ICP to the head or hook up a manual gauge.

If no pressure, then continue below......

4. Remove valvecovers.

5. Apply shop air to the HPOP port on the head. Do one side at a time. Check for air escaping around the injector. If you have air escaping, you have blown injector o-rings.

How old are your injectors?

Report back your findings at each step.

Billy T.
[email protected]

79jasper

Reaction score
Since you replaced the hpop pull the drive gear bolt again and make sure the gear is seated on the shaft.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Erik307

Reaction score
Didn't these trucks have the suction tube get a crack or something like that in the pan and they would pull air into the oil. Is it possible that you are aerating air into the oil and the hpop can't build enough pressure to the 500# minimum to fire the injectors. I know they would over fill the pan to check this. By the way I know it sounds stupid but did you check the oil level.

As far as a cracked tube wouldnt that affect the engine oil pressure too? Wich is a at ~75 psi and lol yes i did check the oil level!!

Erik307

Reaction score

3. Plug one HPOP hose. Attach other hose to driver side head. Read ICP via scan tool. Then do the same to the passenger side head. For the passenger reading, either move the ICP to the head or hook up a manual gauge.

4. Remove valvecovers.

5. Apply shop air to the HPOP port on the head. Do one side at a time. Check for air escaping around the injector. If you have air escaping, you have blown injector o-rings.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Wow i will try to accomplish all of that but i do not have acess to a scan tool and i live way out of town so i cant get the truck to a shop. I know i have roughly 70 psi at the reservoir though and my injectors were replaced two years ago. I applies air to the hpop system and the only leak i could hear was coming from the hpop tself thats why i teplaced it. I ould imagine i would be able to hear 175 psi through the valve covers but maybe not.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Wow i will try to accomplish all of that but i do not have acess to a scan tool and i live way out of town so i cant get the truck to a shop. I know i have roughly 70 psi at the reservoir though and my injectors were replaced two years ago. I applies air to the hpop system and the only leak i could hear was coming from the hpop tself thats why i teplaced it. I ould imagine i would be able to hear 175 psi through the valve covers but maybe not.

Do what I posted and nothing else. Should take you tops 1 hour to go through everything. Got to diagnosis your issue instead of throwing parts at it.

If you don't have access to a scan told, then a mechanical hydraulic gauge will work. You need at the minimum a 3,000 psi one. A mechanical hydraulic gauge should be in the tool box of any person that works on a HEUI system

The valve covers are made with a special metal/composite to dampen the noise of the injectors/motor.

There was a bad of injector orings that went around the same time as your injectors.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Erik307

Reaction score
Do what I posted and nothing else. Should take you tops 1 hour to go through everything. Got to diagnosis your issue instead of throwing parts at it.

If you don't have access to a scan told, then a mechanical hydraulic gauge will work. You need at the minimum a 3,000 psi one. A mechanical hydraulic gauge should be in the tool box of any person that works on a HEUI system

The valve covers are made with a special metal/composite to dampen the noise of the injectors/motor.

There was a bad of injector orings that went around the same time as your injectors.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Yes i have a guage that goes to 4000 not a cheap one a good hydraulic on i have lines to go from each head and connect to the quage as of now im only getting 100 psi tops at the heads i will see if i can connect my guage to the new hpop and deadhead it i may need to get some sort of fittings to do so but i know i can hold the pressure back with my fingers on the hpop lines so i know its not making pressure. My injector o rings were alliant brand i guess they could be bad i will check what i can and report back.

Erik307

Reaction score

4. Remove valvecovers.

Billy T.
[email protected]

ok so last night I gathered up what I had to check the pressure in the reservoir. the only way I could do it was using a 4 foot hose because it had the right thread on one end for the plug in the hpop reservoir. I then cranked it over and compared the guage I have inside the truck ( its a digital one that was in the truck when I got it) to the mechanical on the hpop reservoir and they are way different according to the mechanical I am pushing 32 psi while cranking it jumps to 40 then settles off at 32 according to the digital inside the truck (wich is what I have been going off of) I have roughly 70. now im more inclined to belive the mechanical but will the 4 ft hose make me loose some pressure on the guage? I did allow the hose to fill with oil before testing.

now a question! will the 32 psi keep up with the hpop's demand? also how do you put a guage on the hpop with the quick connect fitting? or do you remove them and rig something up? thanks

Latest posts

Members online