7.3 no start

RiVerBum01

Reaction score
Having some problems with my truck the past few day. Maybe you guys can help me avoid a shop bill. I'll start from the top.
5 days ago it was around -1 when I got off work. Truck barley would turn over enough to crank, but it did on first try. Coming home from work and my heater would act up. Would blow hot for one min then cold for a little bit then hot again. Had a little coolant smell so I figured heater core. Popped the hood and the degas bottle was empty. Filled it up and heard water poring from somewhere. That's when I discovered the water pump took a crap on me, constant streem of water poring out. Plugged it up and fast forward 3 days.
Filled the degas bottle up to drive to my fathers 2 miles away to work in the water pump. Went to start the truck and nothing. I've checked a few things already, just hoping maybe you gues could help point me in the direction of something I may have missed.
Unplugged the icp sensor, checked fuses, and checked oil level and still not starting. Getting a wts light, also the tach moves along with the oil psi gauge. Batteries are 3 months old. Anything else I can check Before I put it on te trailer? Any help is greatly appreciated

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Does it turn over quickly like normal? Or is it slow and laggy? Hows battery voltage? Any way to pull codes?

live life full throttle

RiVerBum01

Reaction score
Turns over good for about 2 sec then slows down just a little. Not sure on voltage or codes. Trying to track down a code reader so I don't have to go through the trouble of taking it to the shop. Going to have battery's tested tomorrow asap.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Sounds like a voltage issue, whether it's the injectors not getting enough juice (needs 10.5v cranking or more IIRC) or the starter not getting enough, (sounds like starter to me). Definitely check the cranking voltage and the wiring between the batteries and going to the starter.

RiVerBum01

Reaction score
Batteries were the issue. Hooked the boat batteries up an it fired right up after fixing the water pump. Funny because I bought brand new interstate batteries just 2 months ago . It's my daily driver so I figured one night of cold weather wouldn kill the batteries. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the input fellas!

Latest posts

Members online