7.3 No start

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Have a 96 powerstroke that will not start, have replaced IDM with a known good one, new cps, new fuel pump also. Got it hooked to a solus today to monitor ICP and IPR duty cycle, ICP stays at a 170 psi for the first 6-7 seconds of cranking and then maxes out to 2464.7 and doesn't budge. IPR duty cycle starts at 15% then hits 55% and hangs there. Solenoid was loose on the IPR so I tightened the tin nut to see if that helps to no avail.

I'm leaning toward a bad IPR or a hpo leak of some sorts has anyone ran into this situation before? Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Negative no smoke at all. Not even the slightest hint of wanting to fire. I was wondering if it defaulted to 2464.7 to try to lie the computer into firing?

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
I have a running engine in the parts truck thirty feet away I'll just grab the IPR out of it and swap see what happens... Any other ideas possible o ring problem?

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Tried swapping out the IPR and no change, swapped IPR pigtail and no change still. Still only building 160-170psi on the scanner. Going to try to block off the hpo feed lines to the head and see if it will build any pressure on a manual gauge. This motor only has 46,000 miles on it I don't see a pump going bad with that low of miles, what else could it possibly be leaking in the motor besides injector o-rings or maybe one of the small allen plugs missing out of the oil rail?

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
The only code it is throwing is a p1212.. Pulled valve covers on the drivers side and no oil is coming from the injectors at all. Fuel bowl is clean every time so I don't think it is pushing back into the fuel. Guy said it hiccuped once on the way home and then idled for maybe ten minutes and it just died like you shut it off.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
if they have oil pressure, fuel pressure, and a signal to fire these trucks will run..

i would stick with the ICP sensor...
If its somehow reading 2500 psi i wonder if the ipr is dumping PSI trying to bring it back down. the instant jump to me says electrical.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
The only code it is throwing is a p1212.. Pulled valve covers on the drivers side and no oil is coming from the injectors at all. Fuel bowl is clean every time so I don't think it is pushing back into the fuel. Guy said it hiccuped once on the way home and then idled for maybe ten minutes and it just died like you shut it off.

actually that right there is probably it. assuming you cranked while no oil was coming out, your not getting signal to fire the injectors. run a buzz test, IDM or cam sensor

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
If it's only seeing 160psi the pcm wont command the injectors to fire hence no oil correct?

The injectors will not fire until they see 500psi.

I asked because he said it was going to 2464psi. If it was indeed going that high, then they would be firing as long as they were commanded to.

I agree on running a buzz test.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
It passed the buzz test flawlessly, put a manual gauge on and watched actual it built up to 210 with a brand new IPR with both feed lines blocked off from the pump. I'm guessing that only leaves the pump to be suspect?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
All the fuses ok? Do you a click when you turn the key? May have air in oil galleries.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.