7.3 only starts when cold

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
My brother has a 02 7.3 that's only starting when cold.
I plugged in my Auto Enginuiety so see what I could find. Came up with the typical p1280 and p121 codes.
When the truck is cold, it cranks longer than normal, but still starts ICP duty cycle starts around 20% and climbs up to 80% just before it finley starts.
When engine is hot ICP won't past 260psi even with 80% duty cycle.
Tried unplugging ICP sensor and no change. Threw a new ICP sensor And CPS sensor no change. Cleaned the IPR valve, and tried a known good IPR valve and no change. When the truck is running ICP is around 530 psi with duty cycle of 9-10%. Spliced new pig tails for ICP and IPR and nothing. Checked the fuel bowl and doesn't seem to be any oil contamination from bad O-rings.
I'm starting to run out of ideas.
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I just ran through the same issues with mine and it turned out 6 out of 8 of my injectors had torn o rings. No evidence of fuel contamination either and almost the exact DC and icp readings you are experiencing

NC714

Reaction score
Sounds like a high pressure oil leak, if you have already eliminated the IPR then I would suspect as mentioned above the Injector O rings, or injector itself (stuck poppet or something).

I would remove valve covers and run the engine, inspect the oil spouts to see if all injectors are firing properly and if any visible leaks are present.

NC714

Reaction score
That would have probably showed up immediately after install. Seems like I did read about a "bad batch" of injector O-rings that were causing issues later down the road for people.

Layson

Reaction score
Had a coil on the IPR go bad that would only let the truck start when it was cold. That is the big washer deal that slides over the IPR.

444getsitdone

Reaction score
How many miles on this thing? Unless he neglected his oil changes (never happens!) I'd not guess the HPOP, possibly IPR, unlikely.... pull the VC's and check the injectors, are they spraying oil everywhere? The cold thick oil does not leak as much and the HPOP can keep up with the loss, once it warms up the thin oil leaks a lot faster, faster than the HPOP can keep up. I work on the Caterpillar HEUI's quite often and the HPOP do go out on them quite a bit but the things have a lot of hours on them, and the owners dont always know about oil changes... Dead head the HPOP if you think its that, then you know for sure if it is (or is not) the HPOP. 1600 PSI is not bad for the pump, 80% duty is high but its trying desperately to make more pressure. I think youre losing it somewhere else

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
stock tuning, wot should hold 2600-2800 psi all day long.. now either the hpop did in fact say *** you im out or the injectors are way bad.. could be both. how many miles are on it?

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Truck had 435,000 miles. Been stone cold reliable!
Oil changes range between 3500-4500 miles
holy ***in chitballz... just replace hpop and injectors.. if thats all thats happened so far then the ole girl could use some fresh high pressure parts!

live life full throttle

Arisley

Reaction score
How many miles on this thing? Unless he neglected his oil changes (never happens!) I'd not guess the HPOP, possibly IPR, unlikely.... pull the VC's and check the injectors, are they spraying oil everywhere? The cold thick oil does not leak as much and the HPOP can keep up with the loss, once it warms up the thin oil leaks a lot faster, faster than the HPOP can keep up. I work on the Caterpillar HEUI's quite often and the HPOP do go out on them quite a bit but the things have a lot of hours on them, and the owners dont always know about oil changes... Dead head the HPOP if you think its that, then you know for sure if it is (or is not) the HPOP. 1600 PSI is not bad for the pump, 80% duty is high but its trying desperately to make more pressure. I think youre losing it somewhere else

You know, as bass akwards as you came at this, it still was pretty much spot on.

stock tuning, wot should hold 2600-2800 psi all day long.. now either the hpop did in fact say *** you im out or the injectors are way bad.. could be both. how many miles are on it?

live life full throttle

Yep, abso***inlutly. all day every day.

Truck had 435,000 miles. Been stone cold reliable!
Oil changes range between 3500-4500 miles

holy ***in chitballz... just replace hpop and injectors.. if thats all thats happened so far then the ole girl could use some fresh high pressure parts!

live life full throttle

I will also add my holy ***in chitballz to this.

it deserves it..

live life full throttle

ih designed it to be a half million mile motor then be rebuilt or freshened up..

live life full throttle

Time to make a decision. Myself, I would throw some injectors and a HPOP at it and ride it to the end. Would not even throw a compression test at it. Ride that old girl for all she has. When she is done, clear a place in the pasture for her and let her live there, Never sell a part off of her and let her rust away like God meant her to.

Second choice, jerk the motor out, throw some rings and bearings at it, put it back together with a rebuilt oil cooler, new LPOP, new HPOP, new turbo, new injectors, and go for another half million.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You know, as bass akwards as you came at this, it still was pretty much spot on.

Yep, abso***inlutly. all day every day.

I will also add my holy ***in chitballz to this.

Time to make a decision. Myself, I would throw some injectors and a HPOP at it and ride it to the end. Would not even throw a compression test at it. Ride that old girl for all she has. When she is done, clear a place in the pasture for her and let her live there, Never sell a part off of her and let her rust away like God meant her to.

Second choice, jerk the motor out, throw some rings and bearings at it, put it back together with a rebuilt oil cooler, new LPOP, new HPOP, new turbo, new injectors, and go for another half million.

both very respectable options!!

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online