7.3 rattling

Denver

Reaction score
I've been having an annoying rattle for the past 10K miles and it's not getting any better. I can't really find the problem but I can tell you what I see so far. The rattle only happens after the truck has been running for 10 minutes and all the way up to full temp. It only does the rattle at idle (stopped) sometimes, if you roll the throttle stopped it will do it but will go away after a couple minutes and 5 mph or less and does it in park, reverse, N, drive, and I'm sure 2 and 1. It can also be felt in the cab. The rattle noise is coming from the exhaust but the exhaust is clear of everything. It sounds like it's making its way through the engine into the exhaust. Uppipes are tight and not leaking and all bolts are good on the exhaust manifolds. Transmission feels the same as it always has. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Truck is a stock 02 F250 2wd with 148K and a 4" mbrp TB exhaust.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
If its not the cackle my next guess would be a heat shield along the exhaust route or maybe the cover by the TQ converter

Denver

Reaction score
It's not a standard sound. Have 5 other 7.3s that don't do it. Nothing is rubbing the exhaust and inspection cover is tight. Could a bad TQ cause a vibration to go through the engine and then rattle the exhaust? It doesn't do it cold. All fluids are fine. Exhaust bolts are tight. I'm thinking a trans issue but it shifts/feels fine.

PSDEng

Reaction score
The "standard 7.3 cackle" that Dave is referring to is the typical rattle can sound that come from a bad tc......which sorta kinda maybe sounds exactly what you have :lookaround:

Latest posts

Members online