7.3 tow tunes

Denver

Reaction score
Whos tow tunes are you guys running and how do you like them? How is the shifting? Hard shifts or are they smooth shifts? I'm behind on this 7.3 tuning thing but after hauling a 12K trailer I'm going to be ordering tunes. I have a JW tow master trans but I don't want to have shifts that will give whiplash every shift.

Denver

Reaction score
Bumping this up. I've ran 2 tow tunes from 2 vendors and both were undrivable. One shifted to hard and the other one ran way to hot and sounded awful when I rolled into the throttle. The trailer I am towing is a 5th wheel toybox ranging from 12-15K lbs. I also have 95* weather and 6-7% grades and sometimes 30 mph head winds.

Last edited:

Homesteader

Reaction score
Bumping this up. I've ran 2 tow tunes from 2 vendors and both were undrivable. One shifted to hard and the other one ran way to hot and sounded awful when I rolled into the throttle. The trailer I am towing is a 5th wheel toybox ranging from 12-15K lbs. I also have 95* weather and 6-7% grades and sometimes 30 mph head winds.

Which 2 have you run? Pm me if you dont want to mention it on here.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Beans.... Tiny puff of black on a decent excel, yet the trans shifts great!

JDub

Reaction score
There is only so much you can do with the transmission stragies in the SCT software, so it may be tough to get it dialed in perfectly. A multi-position chip may offer better control in the tuning allowing a better end result. We work very closely with John Wood and have Live Tuned quite a few trucks running his Towmaster trans. Let us know if we can help...

TyCorr

Reaction score
My tunes in my 65hp tow tune are great. The.shifts happen a little later but the.convertor.stays.locked most of.the time. I towed in my 100hp perf tune and it was.pretty awesome.

Denver

Reaction score
There is only so much you can do with the transmission stragies in the SCT software, so it may be tough to get it dialed in perfectly. A multi-position chip may offer better control in the tuning allowing a better end result. We work very closely with John Wood and have Live Tuned quite a few trucks running his Towmaster trans. Let us know if we can help...

This post helps alot. After some more research I realized I should have gone with a chip from the beginning. It looks like the SCT doesn't offer all the tuning parameters that a chip does.

primetime1267

Reaction score
I got my tunes recently from Brian at BTS, and his tow tunes are very nice and keep everything locked in and shifts well, not too hard and not too soft. I think there is some power left on the table, but I requested that he not go to crazy with the tunes so I could save the tranny, as it is still stock except for his valvebody.

TARM

Reaction score
I would recommend you try Matt@ gearhead. IMO he has the best grasp of the software and its effects. He also has likely the lowest smoke tunes of any of the tuners.

I would also suggest that you will find the best results if you switch to a TS chip based this would come from the tuner you chose such as Gearhead, PHP, or Swamps or Beans etc.. Gearhead also comes with free updates ,tweaks, or complete tuning changes for parts changes etc.. for life .

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Thats pretty awesome. I have always.wanted to try swamps tuning.

Towing around 10-12k I don't ever see above 1200 egt. Obviously I watch the gauge like a hawk ( although towing so many times in the hot tune I don't need to just out of habit)

Im going to be adding a cooling mist kit soon to help keep it on the safe side.plus I haven't bought anything for my truck lately LOL

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I can't comment on the shifting as I'm running a six speed, but I'm very happy with Gearhead's tow tunes. Even when lugging the engine, the exhaust is clean, and I can't break 1200* even if I try to.

Denver

Reaction score
I just gotta ask because I find it hard to believe that you guys can tow 12K up a 7% grade for 12 miles at WOT and not have the EGT's exceed 1200* in a tow tune in 90* weather with the A/C blasting?

MilehighEX

Reaction score
Are you in the Denver area, as your screen name suggests? Elevation here and heavy towing with aggressive tuning and stock turbo can get hot fast. I'm still dialing in my combo as we speak, I use Tony Wildman, and love his tuning, but he is hard as hell to communicate with for certain understood reasons. I have used Beans before and his tunes great on the street empty with stock turbo and stage1's but the tunes were hot towing. I'm sure he would have fixed it for me but, I changed the truck combo and tunes anyways. I have not tried the others.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Are you in the Denver area, as your screen name suggests? Elevation here and heavy towing with aggressive tuning and stock turbo can get hot fast. I'm still dialing in my combo as we speak, I use Tony Wildman, and love his tuning, but he is hard as hell to communicate with for certain understood reasons. I have used Beans before and his tunes great on the street empty with stock turbo and stage1's but the tunes were hot towing. I'm sure he would have fixed it for me but, I changed the truck combo and tunes anyways. I have not tried the others.

Tony has or had a kid fighting a bad illness. There was a benefit here.not too long.ago. Im guessing.that probably has everything to do with it.

I wouldnt mind.trying.his tunes however.

Latest posts

Members online