7.3L destruction and re-construction.

mattman347

Reaction score
Some of you may know me others may not. Just thought I would post up somewhat of an update here. I have been pushing forged rods to there limit and beyond just to see how far I should take them, and I did not have the funds for the $$ rods. :lame:

Last year I made 926 on the dyno with spray, then in April at the Jamboree I was able to ghetto fog it to 1226. It was a good time for sure! Truck kept going and was racing it every other weekend. I had a small set back when my grandfather died and lost a little bit of interest for a while but got back in the "game" and headed to the track to see what I could do. I sprayed 2 stages in the 1/4 mile and clicked off an 11.1@119 and an 11.0@120! Then they asked me to not come back without a cage so I never made another trip down the track.

This last October I went to Beans dyno day to play on the dyno and hit it with nitrous too early and it hurt it with a loud backfire. We made another try at it and hit the spray late and made 1038 but FINALLY it had bent a few rods. I did drive it home though!! :clapping:

I have since found an engine that had Carillo billet rods in it and took it apart and did my own build with our pistons, coated rod and main bearings and a girdle. I had a race coming up so I was in a hurry to get it together. I got the pistons back from coating on a Tuesday, assembled the engine on Wednesday, installed it on Thursday and hooked it up to the trailer and towed 8 hrs south to the Diesel thunder race to break it in. I raced the 11.90 index class and ended up taking home the win for the second year in a row with some great competition.

Whats the purpose of telling you all this? Nothing, other than I wanted to show you all that the 7.3L is still competitive in a world of common rails! haha :redspotdance:

7ec23ff23b60de9fd0a2239225ec7d46.jpg
ff6b7bd5a3167ff14b4b0c54617b90fc.jpg

Last edited:

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Huge numbers Matt!
What are you running for inj and turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattman347

Reaction score
I keep forgetting that you might not be able to see the signature, they are 350cc with a 200% nozzle. It's been kind of unbelievable to a lot of people but I've repeated it more than once. Yes it's a lot of nitrous! LOL the turbo is the 467.7 FMW with a 360 thrust washer. The picture of the gauges are after I got home from the dyno run I did the recall. So you can see how far the drive pressure was out from the boost with the 110 housing. Not bad really considering!

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Did you ever get approx numbers without nitrous?
Just wondering as I have not had the time to with my setup being 76mm, big oil and "fast" 350/200s...

mattman347

Reaction score
Fuel only numbers vary from around 650 horse to 670. They are just not quite "fast enough" to make a bunch of power on. I would assume going up to a 400% nozzle would benefit to an extent, but it becomes an airflow issue anything above 700 from what I have seen. That's why the artificial air works way better for me and still driving the truck.

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
Must... Resist... Fapping...
Beautiful truck!

diezelfreak

Reaction score
Knew I should have went to beans. Love this truck I have always enjoyed seeing in run through the big town of Woodburry lol.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Very cool! It's pretty amazing what those old motors will take.

Best part is how you continued to drive and use the truck.

mattman347

Reaction score
Does the water meth help any?

I pretty much run straight water when I'm towing, and yes it does help. I do not have to run it as I can keep EGT's under control if I'm paying attention and driving normal. But I don't use the water at the track.

Latest posts

Members online