71mm turbos 200% nozzle towing experiences

V-Ref

Reaction score
Whatcha running? How heavy, how high in elevation, how hot are the EGTs, whose tuning, how much "driving around the turbo" are you having to do.

Looking to pull 8k...I think the highest elevation on a paved road up here is 4300-4400'...

Interested in the couple fellas running the GTX4294s and their towing experiences, but would appreciate feedback from the modded H2E, KASB, and GT42 fellas too. I've all but about given up on the thought of a 76mm pulling anything more than 2-3K without really having to drive around the turbo, so contemplating a smaller single.

Thanks in advance.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Whatcha running? How heavy, how high in elevation, how hot are the EGTs, whose tuning, how much "driving around the turbo" are you having to do.

Looking to pull 8k...I think the highest elevation on a paved road up here is 4300-4400'...

Interested in the couple fellas running the GTX4294s and their towing experiences, but would appreciate feedback from the modded H2E, KASB, and GT42 fellas too. I've all but about given up on the thought of a 76mm pulling anything more than 2-3K without really having to drive around the turbo, so contemplating a smaller single.

Thanks in advance.

Ref, S471sx with 1.10 a/r. At sea level, pulled 7000lbs.
My torture test: WOT for a mile on flat, 45MPH merging all the way up to 80MPH, EGTs didnt crack 1250. Matts tow tune I figure 310HPish.

Backpressure is excellent as well with the 1.10, maintaining a 1:1 up to about 31-33 PSI

I broke in my motor pulling the same trailer up a 7% grade for 1.5-2.25 miles at 1/2-3/4 throttle in the same tune. Boost ranged from 15-25PSI and egts were right in the 1000-1150 range. I did this a few times that day just for kicks, didnt skip a beat with consistant results. Lets just say the look on peoples faces as 7000 pounds of super duty with 7000 in tow screams past at 2700 rpm :evil

One of the nicest things to, very minimal smoke ! A little puff when first rolling in to the throttle or from cruise to WOT. Cleans up almost instantly as the turbo lights. And thats huge. I did not want a smokey pig when towing !
I didnt drive around the turbo all that much. I can mat the beetch and it lights quick and pulls hard to merge. or cruise at 70 MPH at 1-2 PSI of boost, and its very responsive after 5PSI all the way to max boost. WOT or rolling on and everything in between.

Maybe a tad slow up to 5PSI but nothing un-managable by any means.

Im quite pleased with how well my combo works. Ive been toying the idea of an S475 and 400/400s because of my greed for 11s in the 1/4.

However I cant phanthom loosing the responsivness of the s471 and 200% nozzles.

Any questions Id be happy to help

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
V-Ref

I tow a 10k boat and have no issues with it at all. Don't even have to drive around it. I can hold 75mph and run at 1200degree. My tow tune is set to keep it in the higher rpm so that it doesn't fall below the turbo. The tranny will down shift if you slow down and keep you in the sweet spot. Jonathan from Swamps live tuned my truck pulling a loaded trailer. I just got Matt's tunes to try but have not towed with it yet.

If there's anything else that you would want to knowjust let me know. I have a video will try to post as well.

Big Bore

Reaction score
V-Ref

I tow a 10k boat and have no issues with it at all. Don't even have to drive around it. I can hold 75mph and run at 1200degree. .

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but you definitely have an issue with heat. You will def have an issue as soon as you hit a grade or go up in elevation. I'm assuming you mean towing on flatland at sea level. Also is that pre or post turbo?

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
Yes sea level in overdrive and 2000 rpm. If you click the overdrive off it will drop to like 900-1000 and sing at 2600 rpm. Or if you keep driving it hard in overdrive and get it up to say 2300 rpm temps start to drop as well. I don't tow at any elevation so I wanted the most I could get to tow using some of the new found hp. That's with 35" tires and 3.73 gears. Wouldn't want to tow the boat any faster not saying that I couldn't just don't need a trailer tire to let go and be up chits creak.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Thread resurrection....Clear!....Zap!

Post up your experiences with your 200% nozzles and 71+mm inducer turbo. Vids are great if you've got em!

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
I really need to hook to a trailer with my set up and see how it does..when I had the t500 my temperatures were pretty out there and felt I always had my eye on the gauge but when I got the twin hpops the truck runs real cool even on a hot run. I felt that made all the difference in the world. I had a sled trailer behind the truck but that's not enough weight to bat an eye lash at.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
250-200s gt42r, tows a trailer everyday. Pushes snow all winter is a complete work truck, egts arent bad but can get a little hot in the hotter tunes.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Thanks...keep the feedback coming....

Riderrace/Groomzie......any regrets with you turbo? What's your next turbo on the truck?

Turbo won't change. I love it.

I've ran this charger,68mm holset, gt45r hybrid,And an s366. All of those chargers were great but the 366 it was a pos.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Groomzy....you've ran a bunch of chargers...were those all with 200% nozzles?

If so...can you rate em...first to last...based on your experience with them? Can you add turbine housing A/R, total boost, back procedure too?

Last edited:

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
The 45 made a lot more power that the rest but was a little laggy not to crazy, had a 1.15 housing.

So I'd say 42, holset, 45, and s366.for steerable

For max power 45,42 holset. Those are in order from 1st to last.

Ran 200% nozzles on them all, but the 45 a 350ccs the rest just 250s. All Turbos had 1:15 housings the holset had *19housing.
Truck made 593 with the holset and 250-200s was a very fun setup.

chris1978

Reaction score
Running 300/200's, 71/76/19 HX50 and Swamps tuning. Dave has the tow file nailed down. Pulled the 12k 5th wheel home from Seattle via the Coquihalla pass (4000ft, 8-10% grades) and had a tough time breaking 1200 with one stage of water running. Smoke was minimal. If my wife could back the trailer up without ***ing chit up I would have no issues letting her drive it...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
Thanks...keep the feedback coming....

Riderrace/Groomzie......any regrets with your turbo? What's your next turbo on the truck?

yeah, spent more money on a better one LOL its a great turbo and can make decent power but i think this is now my bottle neck in my setup even with the 1.1 housing. Ive got enough water meth, oil and fuel to make great power but i dont know if my turbo will let me truck make 650 or more. my goal is to try break 650 at the wheels but i havent had a chance to hop on a dyno or track since the trans broke when i got it all dialed in.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online