92-94 idi E4od to 95 p-stroke question

Mad Max

Reaction score
in, out and all around the matrix you live in
ok i have heard offhand that a 92-94 idi e4od will not work behind a 95-97 powerstroke. long shot but i am curious. is there any way to make it work? i want to do a 4X4 Swap in my 95 crew cab.... actually a necessity for where i live at. I can get my hands on a e4od out of a 92, i know it will work if i change out the tailshaft housing and output shaft i can bolt up the 1356 t case. But is there any other route i can take to make it work besides that? thanks for all input

-Max

79jasper

Reaction score
It can be done.
Personally it would be a downgrade to do that year. Hell, I'd do the 4r100.
The way I was told (not sure which year it started) is the powerstroke E40D is like a pre 4R100, Its been upgraded from the idi E40D.
What trans is in you psd?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

e4od.com

Reaction score
If I read the above posts correctly. You are wanting to put a 92 idi E4OD 4x4 trans behind a 95 PSD ?

If so, although this would work as other commenters have indicated correctly, its by far not he best solution as the 89-94 E4OD's (all models) had weaker parts.

95 E4OD version & up is a much better option.

Although the a 92 E4OD idi will have the 4 pinion forward planetary, it also has weaker parts than a 95 gas or idi. 92 has a weaker input shaft; less flow pump and bushing instead of a roller bearing for center support than the 95 updated E4OD

The E4OD idi trans has both a pump and solenoid valve body that are tuned for diesel applications and both will need to be swapped out if used behind a PSD because of increase engine RPM.

The 92 Solenoid Valve body can not be used in your 95 PSD truck because protection diodes were moved from the Solenoid Valve Body PCB board to the Powertrain Control Module starting with the 95 year model.

Best to consider finding a good 95-97 gas 4x4 E4OD trans. I don't recommend 98 E4OD or 4R100 as they use a Stamped Steel Coast Clutch Drum and Revese Clutch Hub which are weaker in design (this one is my own personal opinion).

Hope this is helpful. And for those who want to know more about their E4OD, updates & diagnostics please checkout my E4OD Free tips eBOOk.

http://e4od.com/index.php/2015-01-18-18-51-55

Bobby

Latest posts

Members online