94-97 tuning thread.

Vengeance

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I called up PHP to talk to them about my lope tune not working. I got a very stupid answer and dont even understand it. They said its hard to write a tune for a lope tune. I could send the chip back atleast 15 times and have them burn a different one everytime and they couldnt garentte it to work. What gives with all the other tuners writing lope tunes that work the first time?

I was live tuning a truck and the customer wanted a lope tune. I had the truck sounding and loping just how he wanted it. His friend, with the same year model truck, tranny and similar mods, wanted it on his chip. I burned the tune on his chip, stuck it in the truck, and when he put it on the lope tune, it idled perfect, not a hickup one, smooth as can be. The powerstrokes are like zebra's, they all look and sound alike, but are all different.

Bean

Reaction score
^^^^^^ This^^^^

Every truck reacts different to tunes, if you want them to act perfect for your truck there is only two ways, be lucky or get live tuned. Lope tunes can be some of the worst for that, no two trucks will react the same to a lope tune. Pressures and PW have to be played with at idle to get the PCM to over react in just the right way to get a good lope tune that doesnt just sound like a rough idle and hammers in the motor.

JD3020

Reaction score
Does it just do this at start-up?
It does it whenever i start it, so yes i guess? Its never gone into a lope after i've started it.
Possibly because your have a single shot pcm and split shot tunes on your chip?

My truck has always romped/loped at start-up, with stock injectors and the splits. But with the stockers it was only occasional, usually when the motor was warm, not hot or cold, and would last for a few seconds with no smoke then go away. With the splits it does it every time i start it, no matter what, and it always smokes. And it lasts from 10 seconds up to a minute or more. If i rev it up it clears up at times, whereas other times as soon as it hits idle its loping. And it will actually go down so far that the battery light comes on. With my truck in an actual tune its only done it once out of the hundreds of times i've started it. I did swap HPOP's and put in another used IPR recently, which should help, but i haven't started it without a tune since.

I'm assuming its just an ICP issue, but i haven't put it on a scanner to see what its doing yet. I know that it will do it in the tow tunes from Matt, and when there is no chip. If i have it on any hotter tune it fires up and is smooth, eeer i mean as smooth as my super rough running POS can be.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Thanks Tony and Bean.... Im always thinking its my truck is the reason the tuning isnt ever quite right on the first round. Seems to me like OBS pcm's just have a mind of their own, no two ways about it

Tom S

Reaction score
I was live tuning a truck and the customer wanted a lope tune. I had the truck sounding and loping just how he wanted it. His friend, with the same year model truck, tranny and similar mods, wanted it on his chip. I burned the tune on his chip, stuck it in the truck, and when he put it on the lope tune, it idled perfect, not a hickup one, smooth as can be. The powerstrokes are like zebra's, they all look and sound alike, but are all different.

If you guys ever get the chance even if you cannot afford to get live tuned it is really worth it to see what goes on. I think that Zebra comment is dead on right back to how the trans tuning on my truck has to have all the shift points lowered for some uknown reason with my factory pcm. Swap the PCM and they change to what was desired. This is inspite of what is commanded by the program.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
If you guys ever get the chance even if you cannot afford to get live tuned it is really worth it to see what goes on. I think that Zebra comment is dead on right back to how the trans tuning on my truck has to have all the shift points lowered for some uknown reason with my factory pcm. Swap the PCM and they change to what was desired. This is inspite of what is commanded by the program.

Cant wait to get live tuned and learn the ins and outs of it! November 18-20 Tony will be at my shop!

Dieselfever

Reaction score
Something else I noticed about 6 years ago, ALF6 code will set a CEL for P1211 same as the rest of any PCM, but the CEL will go out after a few mins of normal driving like an over boost code on a SD does

-Michael

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Those of you tuning your own trucks, would having too high of oil temps be able to affect stuff??

My truck seems like it runs great below 200* but because ive got the IPR dumping in a stupid location it is running betwee 210-215 on a normal basis.
Also can someone post pics of how they have their IPR dumps routed?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I'm kinda wondering how it's gonna go... Never been around a dyno or live tuning lol guess we will see what my truck can do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its pretty sweet. He will tweak on the fly so you can feel the differences everything is making...
I will work on getting a dyno so you can watch some trucks make pulls, its pretty cool!

Reaction score
The dyno closest to where we are tuning just grenaded i guess. It wont be back up and runing until after the new year, so its on to plan B

Bill said he would call if anything happens with that. I guess Rip is down at SEMA and going to talk or should I say cuss out the guys at Mustang booth for blowing up the dyno. Bill said if its gonna get fixed sooner than told then he would call you or me to let us know.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Bill said he would call if anything happens with that. I guess Rip is down at SEMA and going to talk or should I say cuss out the guys at Mustang booth for blowing up the dyno. Bill said if its gonna get fixed sooner than told then he would call you or me to let us know.

Yeah ive got another dyno lined up, so its no problem!

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
ok was able to get the vid uploaded. this one is my 80 extreme

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here is my 60 DD

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Wow those are both fairly smokey to be honest. Stage 1s and stock turbo with cale's tuning on a good friends truck, puffs black then puts you in the seat and clears up almost instantly to a haze you cant hardly see. And that is the 140 race tune

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Wow those are both fairly smokey to be honest. Stage 1s and stock turbo with cale's tuning on a good friends truck, puffs black then puts you in the seat and clears up almost instantly to a haze you cant hardly see. And that is the 140 race tune

Someone said something about not having enough air but my boost got to 25 psi in those vids. My fuel was at about 62-63 psi. What do you think about that... not a good tune..... needs live tune....or needs tunes from a good tuner?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Someone said something about not having enough air but my boost got to 25 psi in those vids. My fuel was at about 62-63 psi. What do you think about that... not a good tune..... needs live tune....or needs tunes from a good tuner?

Could be an exhaust leak? Could be a weak HPOP (causing lower than commanded ICP, which will in turn cause a bad burn in the cylinder)... good be bad tuning. But generally even the most extreme tunes on stock injectors dont smoke like that, ever!

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Could be an exhaust leak? Could be a weak HPOP (causing lower than commanded ICP, which will in turn cause a bad burn in the cylinder)... good be bad tuning. But generally even the most extreme tunes on stock injectors dont smoke like that, ever!

Well I checked everything from DP back and everything is tight and not leaks. I havent checked my up pipes though but I dont think it is. As far as the HPOP I could see that being weak (15*) and everything is still stock except for the pulley system (320k miles)