96 350 SRW to DRW swap

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
Nah, i just asked the question on two different forums.

I do wish you were down in KY though Brad, id be buzzing around your shop like a fly, esp on the body work. Ive never painted and tell you the truth thats the thing about this swap that concerns me the most. My truck has a very clean body and interior, looks nice, and i wont be happy with a shoddy dually bed, and good ones are hard to find. Would be alot cheaper if i had the know how and tools to do my own body work and paint. Im sure i could figure it out on a old beater over time but i dont want to learn paint on this truck. Would be nice if i knew someone good at it around here. My welding is ok on thicker stuff but sketchy on thin sheet, so i liked the panel bonding used in your build thread.

I was Just in Louisville for the past 3 days. Just got home from MATS about an hour ago.

dont F-up your truck. Either learn on some beater or pay someone to do the body work. Body work is an art form, unlike being a mechanic

KYpatriot

Reaction score
Dang would have been nice to meet you Brad im over in louisville alot. Always enjoy your threads you put a lot of work into them.

Yeah i hear you there, and no i wont. I dont mind attempting just about anything mechanical but i know it takes awhile to learn body and paint. I dont think the time i would have to put in to learn it would be a good investment, i have plenty of irons in the fire already.

My swap is on hold at the moment i may be getting a different trailer, actually may be switching to separate horse trailer with no living quarters and a dedicated rv. We would like more room in the living quarters than we have, and have been doing more day trips with the horses, but lots of overnight camping without them. If we split to two dedicated trailers i wouldnt need to go dually as either would be lighter than what we are doing now.

Frankly it was probably fine already but i tend to overthink stuff.

Last edited:

pullandpray

Reaction score
Brad did your short box dually conversion ride like chit? That's one main reason I havent swapped mine yet worried it will take my already ruff ride and make it worse

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
Brad did your short box dually conversion ride like chit? That's one main reason I havent swapped mine yet worried it will take my already ruff ride and make it worse

Yes and no. It did not ride as good as my CCLB(that rides perfect)

Even after I converted it back to SRW it was nothing to write home about. I think it was a combination of the wheel base and the V code front springs that hurt the ride. The CCLB has U code front and that is what I am going with when I do the RSK on the "new" truck as well

dsberman94

Reaction score
Yes and no. It did not ride as good as my CCLB(that rides perfect)

Even after I converted it back to SRW it was nothing to write home about. I think it was a combination of the wheel base and the V code front springs that hurt the ride. The CCLB has U code front and that is what I am going with when I do the RSK on the "new" truck as well

Sounds like you've been busy lately. Still waiting to hear some more on this "new" truck. Might have to stop by again one day to see it since the weather will be warming up.

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
Sounds like you've been busy lately. Still waiting to hear some more on this "new" truck. Might have to stop by again one day to see it since the weather will be warming up.

Between work and the 10 other projects I have going, busy is an understatement

dsberman94

Reaction score
Between work and the 10 other projects I have going, busy is an understatement

maybe drop it down to 7 or 8 other projects and then you'll be less busy. LOL. almost time to get the truck out of winter storage too. have less projects, have more time for the ones you do have.

KYpatriot

Reaction score
Well, switched to a fifth wheel for camping and a separate trailer for the horses, so this swap is on hold for now since im well under the rear GAWR now. Thanks for all the responses and help.

Latest posts

Members online