96 f250 transmission problems?

Klongstreath

Reaction score
My e4od in my 96 7.3 seems to be shifting wierd. It didnt do this in fall and since winter its been shifting wierd and locking early. My shifts i feel are 1-2-a slight 3, then 3 lock then 4 lock. No 4 unlocked. Before i felt 1-2-3-4-4lock. Never the 3 lock. Its very sluggish and no fun to drive. Trans was rebuilt in june. Previous owner which is my buddy said he had it rebuilt because of this problem. Any ideas? Ts6 chip, 3 inch exhaust. Also trans temps will not go over 120 degrees. Most wouldnt complain about that, but it shift fine in the 150-180 range. I cannot find a fix or an answer. Also my computer isnt storing any codes. Maybe the kam isnt recognizing my driving habbits? But where is this 55th pin? How do i test it? And what do i do if it doesnt teat correctly?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The PCM doesn't recognize your driving habits. Ford has never built a computer that recognizes driving habits. That's an internet myth. Later computers would red how long a shift takes and adjust pressures to bring the shift time back to ideal. In the diesels this started with the 6.0L. Gas engine transmissions had it as early as 1999. Your truck certainly does not.

I suspect either the chip or bad data from one or more sensors. The transmission doesn't determine when it is going to shift or lock, that all comes from the computer. As your buddy found out he wasted his money on the rebuild, there is no way that it could have fixed the problem.

e4od.com

Reaction score
Did you find a solution for this issue yet ? The way you describe it, kind of sounds like 2-3 shift is flaring (late - slip) in to 3rd gear. Could be a sticky valve or piston hanging when its cold sense you mentioned it was not at best temperature. Do you have an external trans cooler in front of the radiator ? If so, that might be what is keeping your trans below nominal range during the winter months.

Please update on this when you can.

Thanks, Bobby

Latest posts

Members online