97 7.3 Loses Power with Loads/Up Hills

Quick302Pony

Reaction score
This happened once last summer, however I pulled a car trailer 12 hours last July and never had an issue. The last two times I've pulled a trailer behind it this year, it's happened on the leg back home.

Drove the truck and horse trailer an hour away with no issues on Sunday and today. Both times coming back the same route, the truck will lose power and struggle to get out of it's own way. I've noticed it happening when going up hills on on the interstate/back roads. I have to pull over and either let it clear itself up, or shut it off and restart it. It will clear up and I'll drive a few more miles and happens again now. Check engine light will sometimes come on, but not all the time.

No smoke when it's struggling for power. Fuel pressure when I pull over and pop the hood is about 20PSI. When it clears back up, fuel pressure will increase.

Truck has Beans e-fuel kit, about 3 years old. Also has TS chip, Wicked Wheel, intercooler, new CPS, new ICP, modified IDM, Fuel Force 160cc injectors. All of these parts are within the last three years.

Any ideas?

superpsd

Reaction score
20 psi is not good. May cause injector damage going that low. Best guess is weak pump or regulator issue. What was the DTC?

Quick302Pony

Reaction score
20 psi is not good. May cause injector damage going that low. Best guess is weak pump or regulator issue. What was the DTC?

Sorry, but what is DTC?

Yes, not happy with the 20PSI, but it does go back up to about 60PSI when running good again.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Could even be something in the selector valve body but, not likely.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Does sound like something in the fuel lines blocking it, especially since if you shut it off and restart it, it goes back to normal, as if when you shut it off, whatever was blocking the line has moved out of the way. Then a few minutes later the debris has drifted back into the path and blocked it off.

Quick302Pony

Reaction score
Does sound like something in the fuel lines blocking it, especially since if you shut it off and restart it, it goes back to normal, as if when you shut it off, whatever was blocking the line has moved out of the way. Then a few minutes later the debris has drifted back into the path and blocked it off.

I will definitely check this out.

Thinking about replacing the fuel filters that came with the Beans kit. Do these need changed often?

Quick302Pony

Reaction score
Cleaned out the tanks last night - they were in pretty good shape, so I'm going to cross that off my list. Just ordered some new fuel filters, should be here Friday.

Latest posts

Members online