97 7.3 Repeat Cam Sensor Failure

Reaction score
Got a 97 7.3 that keeps killing Cam Sensors. All OE Ford Grey sensors. Throw one in, runs perfect for 10-15 minutes then nothing, won't even try to start, throws P0341 and P0344. Every sensor that comes out has a spot that's completely wiped clean, like the gear is hitting it. And some of the sensors look like the gear is rubbing on them once the oil is wiped off.

I'm assuming there's some sort of thrust plate to keep the cam located in the block, anyone seen something like this? Truck is a manual with 160/80 injectors and the owner loves to rev it out.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
More than likely the cam gear is walking. High HP build typically have the cam gear welded. Right now a key-way and press-fit is the only thing keeping the gear on the cam.

You can try shimming the CPS. Ford sells a special shim, but they are awful proud of it. $40 last time I checked. It is 0.018" thick, so if you have access to a lathe you can easily make your own.

Reaction score
More than likely the cam gear is walking. High HP build typically have the cam gear welded. Right now a key-way and press-fit is the only thing keeping the gear on the cam.

You can try shimming the CPS. Ford sells a special shim, but they are awful proud of it. $40 last time I checked. It is 0.018" thick, so if you have access to a lathe you can easily make your own.

Giving it a try. Is there enough room in the front cover for the gear to come all the way off the cam or will it just start eating into the timing cover?

golfer

Reaction score
Giving it a try. Is there enough room in the front cover for the gear to come all the way off the cam or will it just start eating into the timing cover?

never seen the shims actually work in a case as severe as this...but let us know if it works.

the cam gear could potentially/physically get into the front cover, but I doubt the engine will run long enough (lack of CPS signal) to do actually do it..

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

by chance have a part number?
Cam gear fell off the cam. Like pull it off with your hands fell off.
holy chit!! time to weld it in place.

njjeep

Reaction score
ry3agyge.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Update:
Got the motor out and heads off. Gear is still on the cam but it looks like the thrust plate is smoked. Whole cam moves 1/8-1/4" in the block. Ran out of time to get the pan off and front cover out.

Latest posts

Members online