97 7.3l Crank No Start.

97Stroker

Reaction score
Well I went to start my truck to go to class yesterday and it cranked over fine but did not attempt to fire. I have been experiencing a rough idle the past week, but other than that, I have had no issues with starting before. Tried a few more times and nothing. It has been pouring rain ever since so I have not had a chance to check much. I changed the CPS and it did not help. It is a completely stock truck besides for intake and exhaust. I'm just looking for suggestions on things to check when it stops raining. Thanks.

kmfs91

Reaction score
How are the batteries? About a year ago I left my amp on all night, and it drew the batteries down just a little bit. Well, that little bit was just enough to not let the truck fire. I thought it was spinning over fast enough, but it wasn't. Hooked our suburban up to it and she fired right up, then I proceeded to drive to the parts store and spend 250 bucks on batteries :doh:

Does it smoke when it's cranking?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

davey99ps

Reaction score
When was the last time you changed your oil? If its been awhile, you could have a clogged ipr. Pull it out an clean it

Reaction score
Wait-to-start light come on? If it doesn't, check underhood fuse #22. If it's blown, unplug the fuel heater, replace the fuse and try again. Cheers!

97Stroker

Reaction score
Yeah the fuel filers about a year old, my oil doesn't even have 2000 miles on it and yes my wait to start light does come on and no smoke. I'll check the filter and ipr and see if I can get a hold of a fuel pressure gauge

97Stroker

Reaction score
Well I got the truck started today. I checked the fuel filter and cleaned out the ipr and got a good jump start and shes still running/starting. Still not positive what the problem was but at least its running again.

Reaction score
Yeah you could be right, I should really get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge. It also seems like it just isn't quite keeping up under hard throttle

I got a stock fuel pump for sale out of my 97. PM me if interested.
Also I dont know what your diesel is like where you live, but I know here in Oregon our fuel is so depleted when I had my stock fuel bowl ect. I would change my fuel filter ever other oil change. Some say thats a little extreme but oh well.

Latest posts