97 cps keeps blowing

Jmcbride

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 97 7.3 and I keep blowing cps. Sounds crazy but only works with duralast brand from autozone. I order one from riff raff a while back and it wouldn't even start. Napa one won't start. O reilly one will run for a while with the hiccup. Autozone work for about 2 weeks, so.e times. Have chased the wiring harness and found some bad spots so I replaced it. No engine codes and cel. I'm bout to go crazy chasing this thing down..

psduser1

Reaction score
If the cam walks away from the sensor, the sensor will not be triggered.
In other words the pcm won't tell the idm to "fire", which means the injectors won't operate.
Short version. Opposite of the contact question asked by magnum.
I can't tell you the air gap tolerance offhand, but it's fairly tight, and with poor quality checks on some of the newer replacement sensors, it may be enough to cause an intermittent no start.
Might be worth buying a higher quality i.e. more expensive sensor.

Jmcbride

Reaction score
Sometimes yes. Sometimes it won't bounce. If the cam has walked what does it take to fix that?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
You have to pull heads to get lifters out then cam. Not sure how to check for cam walk.

78f100

Reaction score
I only use oem sensors. I had another shop bring me a 7.3 that had intermitten no start and skip issues. They had put 2 different cps sensors from oreillys in it and all new injectors with same issue. Would get cps fault on the ids so I installed a new motorcraft cps, issue was gone. First shop owner and customer couldn't believe that was the issue until they drove it. Try a mc one, unless the cam bearings are shot like already said but you should see marks on the end if the cam is moving.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.