97 Keeps dying!

dthompson

Reaction score
97 7.3 with 315k. Has a bit of a surge at an idle. Then it will die. Driving down the road it's fine but will die while coasting. Starts right back up though. At first it was throwing a CPS code. Swapped it out for another one (Black), first was grey from Ford and still doing the same thing but no code. Only other codes are P0603 ICM KAM Error and P0470 Exhaust pressure sensor. Any ideas???? I'm stumped. Using AE by the way.

dthompson

Reaction score
Ok, didn't have a chance to hook up my AE tonight, but I unplugged the ICP sensor and the idle surge smoothed out a little. Drove it and seemed real choppy but never died. When I let of the throttle the rpm's dip low but doesn't die. Hooked the sensor back up and it died three times in maybe 8 blocks. Unhooked right away and it didn't die again.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Just read this. Sounds like a bad icp sensor to me. Even from your first description and definitely so now.

dthompson

Reaction score
Thanks Ryan, that is kind of what I'm thinking. Going to swap them out later today. Will post back the results.

dthompson

Reaction score
Ok. First off I checked the oil today. Was about 3 quarts low. Topped it off and went and drove it. Died one twice in thirty minutes. Both times were sitting idling, not driving like last night. So I threw a ICP sensor that was laying around on and still has the idle surge and still died on me. The surge is about a 250 rpm variance.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ok. First off I checked the oil today. Was about 3 quarts low. Topped it off and went and drove it. Died one twice in thirty minutes. Both times were sitting idling, not driving like last night. So I threw a ICP sensor that was laying around on and still has the idle surge and still died on me. The surge is about a 250 rpm variance.

how do you know that the spare icp wqs still good? check hpop icp and see if its fluctuating up and down or surging. might have a chitty ipr.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online