97 powerstroke no start

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
My buddy picked up this truck a few days ago for 2k. I have been trying to help him get it running but it's kicking our butts. The guy we bought it from said it just needed a new valve cover /wiring harness. So we have replaced both valve covers and pig tails, replaced a bad icp sensor, and now we find that there is no fuel or even pressure for that matter at the Schrader valve. The only thing I can think is that the mechanical pump is bad but I don't have that much experience with this engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdumont01

Reaction score
Could also be rotted lines that go up the front of the engine. Seen that a bunch.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Well the bowl is filling with an electric pump in place of the low pressure side. So I think that rules out the lines.

mandkole

Reaction score
Fuel is good, how much pressure? pass buzz test? have good ICP? is the reservoir filling? Check codes?

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
OK we changed the mechanical pump and the truck is running now. We took it for a test drive and it sounded like it was going to run away on us then it stopped with the key. On the way home it did this again going up a hill. Checked oil and it had about 4 quarts to much oil so we did an oil change. That seemed to fix the run away issue as we have been driving it alot since then. Now the issue we have is its blowing white smoke all the time. I checked for excessive blow by but luckily that's not it. I'm thinking cracked injectors. Any thoughts?

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I didn't notice a Sweet smell,Coolant level hasn't moved. I'll check again.

Latest posts

Members online