97 PSD possible transmission issue?

all_stroked_out

Reaction score
I have a 1997 PSD all stock with 194,XXX. E40D no idea if it has ever been rebuilt or not.
Since the cold has set in the truck has had an issue. In all gears the truck will consistently make a hissing noise and lag the truck down a little. it is only at a certain rpm in each gear, and it also does it while coasting in neutral if i rev it to around 1100 RPM. Sometimes after driving the truck up to operation temp and letting it sit for 10-15 minutes then driving it again the issue goes away. i have to get on it for it to go away and it makes her real hard to drive. Any ideas? I am thinking it is the trans because it does shift a bit hard, but maybe the turbo. would EBVP have anything to do with it?? i have a video i will put up once i am home.:ford:

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Thats the ebpv.... nothing to do with the trans and exactly what is causing the hissing and lag.

jschildm

Reaction score
As stated above, that is the EBPV. There are a few options when it comes to this: deal with it (it supposedly heats the engine quicker, though I am not convinced), unplug it (plug by the turbo), or put it on a switch.

all_stroked_out

Reaction score
does it stop once the engine is up to operating temp?

Not exactly. It will do this every time I drive it cold, and as I said in the first post after it warms up and I shut the truck off for about 15 minutes then start and drive it it will go away. That is only sometimes though, sometimes it won't go away no matter how warm it is... Also here is the video
http://youtu.be/enjo8tXWeZk

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It will keep going until oil temp is at like 160* I think it is. Usually my ebpv comes on first cold-start of the morning for several miles, then goes away. Then if I shut the truck off and turn it on again, it may come on for a few mins then it goes away the rest of the ride.

all_stroked_out

Reaction score
Mine will do it no matter how warm the truck is. That is why I am so stumped. Does anyone have a link to a picture of the ebpv. I can't really quite see it just glancing under the hood... Thanks for your help guys

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
And your positive that your oil temps are 160* or greater?

jschildm

Reaction score
Disregard all the random wires and stuff in the picture, but the connector for it should be below the turbo/y-pipe area. It sure sounds to me like the EBPV is what you are hearing/feeling. I am not sure of your location, but in Iowa in the winter I can drive half an hour on the highway, and it will still do it when I get to work. Its also cold enough when I get into town, the temp drops just driving around town (at least according to the idiot gauge). It should go away if you get on the go pedal, and come back as you let off.

Attachments

• 2012-07-17_19-48-39_686.jpg
    2012-07-17_19-48-39_686.jpg
    801.3 KB · Views: 31

all_stroked_out

Reaction score
It does exactly that, I am not sure if you watched the video but it will go away when accelerating and come backlight after I let off. The picture is very helpful, I will remove it once I get off work and see if that fixes it!:redspotdance:

305 I don't really watch the temp gauge but my commute is Only about >20 miles so it very well may be under 160...

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
^Depending on ambient air temps and if your actually driving a speed with enough load to drive up oil temps, you very well might not even get up to temp to disengage the ebpv.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
There's a two wire plug down at the bottom of the turbo pedestal on the driver side, unplug it.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
We know it was the ebpv... it sounds like its doing what its supposed to be doing though.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You can do whatever you'd like, but its there for a purpose; to increase oil temp so the truck runs properly and doesnt wet stack.

all_stroked_out

Reaction score
You can do whatever you'd like, but its there for a purpose; to increase oil temp so the truck runs properly and doesn't wet stack.

You know there is a purpose for that cat and muffler on your truck?LOL I don't think it will do too much harm.I don't think most of the forums would recommend removing i if it were going effect it too much.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You know there is a purpose for that cat and muffler on your truck?LOL I don't think it will do too much harm.I don't think most of the forums would recommend removing i if it were going effect it too much.

A lot of the people that remove it aren't from the north where we get -20*f every single day. Southerns recommend to remove the ebpv, typically northerners recommend keeping it.

jschildm

Reaction score
The biggest issue I know of with unplugging it is that it tends to leak around the shaft after a while of not rotating. I am not convinced it makes a difference driving at highway speeds. Perhaps it helps driving around town, and I do like to be able to close mine to let warm up a bit faster at idle in the mornings. I live where its plenty cold, and open mine when I leave home if its trying to close (via a switch). I would have no problem leaving one unplugged ... however, its also worth noting that I wouldn't be the one fixing it if something were to happen.

Latest posts

Members online