99 7.3 Engine cutting off and on while driving

My7.3IsAZombie

Reaction score
I have an early 99 7.3 and when I'm driving at my engine will cut off and immediately come back on. RPMs drop to zero then rise right back up to where they were. It causes a pretty bad shutter in the truck and on some occasions the SES will come on. It seems to only do this when it is raining outside. Any ideas? I'll be scanning for codes and will post them. Thanks for the help!

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
Couple of things I would look for would be CPS connection seal, maybe use some dielectric grease around the seal, possibly leaking windshield or cab lights.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Instead of checking the seal at the cam position sensor, just unplug it, and replace it. It is going bad. It is located right off the crankshaft pulley at 10 o'clock if you were looking through the front of the radiator at it

My7.3IsAZombie

Reaction score
I just installed a new one not too long ago...but it was from auto zone maybe I got a lemon. I'll try getting one from ford or international. Thanks for the suggestions. BIGALSPSD what do you mean when you say a leaking windshield/cab lights?

JLDickmon

Reaction score
I just installed a new one not too long ago...but it was from auto zone maybe I got a lemon. I'll try getting one from ford or international. Thanks for the suggestions. BIGALSPSD what do you mean when you say a leaking windshield/cab lights?

water can get on/in the GEM & PCM and raise all kinds of hell

Clem1226

Reaction score
need a new CPS...it is actually feedback on the ground from the wiper motor that is causing the issue but a good CPS wont care. If it rains again before you get a new CPS just don't use your wipers.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Sounds like its most likely going to be the CPS, but it wouldn't hurt to check for moisture on or around the GEM module. Water getting near the GEM module causes some weird problems.

Arisley

Reaction score
Sounds like its most likely going to be the CPS, but it wouldn't hurt to check for moisture on or around the GEM module. Water getting near the GEM module causes some weird problems.

:whs:

And if you are running a CPS from Autozone, you are lucky to have it last a couple of months. They are famous for being bad out of the box.

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
BIGALSPSD what do you mean when you say a leaking windshield/cab lights?

As others stated, water can get into the GEM or Fuse Box or PCM even, from a leaking windshield or Cab lights. I'm with the others too, definitely get the autozone CPS out of there first. They are known to cause issues, and you might be able to get one free from ford if you haven't had the recall done.

Latest posts

Members online