99 f250 7.3 superduty won't run! Please help

Ford_7.3

Reaction score
I have a 99 f250 7.3 superduty that one of the injectors broke but still ran just smoked really bad and made some noise. I purchased a used injector and installed it and now it won't crank and I lost function of my gas pedal. If I continue to turn the key over it will eventually crank but immediately cut off. I'm lost so any help would be appreciated very much.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Is the Wait to Start light coming on/off like normal?

What is the voltage? Getting below 10.5v the injectors will not fire.

Since you had the HPO system open, you'll have air in there and will take lots of cranking to get it out, frequently kills the batteries.

Double-check to see you have proper oil levels and fuel pressure.

Ford_7.3

Reaction score
The WTS light is coming on. Just changed the oil. Truck ran fine until I changed the injector. I killed the batteries last night cranking it. Will check voltage today. But I lost function to the gas pedal also

ToMang07

Reaction score
When it does crank, I can mash the gas pedal and no response

Well I wouldn't expect anything until it's running, it's just a throttle position sensor, (digitally controlled by the PCM) not cable-operated like an old gasser.

I just want to re-illiterate, if the batteries are too low, you have a dead one, etc, (voltage too low) you can crank it all day and it will never fire, because the PCM won't fire the injectors off unless there's enough juice.

Last edited:

Ford_7.3

Reaction score
I have two brand new batteries but that doesn't mean nothing. I'll double check the voltage and the connections. But I wonder why it would start but cut right off. I have to turn it over for a while before it would even attempt to start

Arisley

Reaction score
Low batteries. Charge them up. Double check all connections, especially the 42 pin connector on the driver side valve cover.

Ford_7.3

Reaction score
I'll charged them tonight but I still don't understand it was running fine until I disconnected the batteries and changed the injector

Arisley

Reaction score
When you change the injector, the cylinder fills with oil, and fuel. You did pull the glow plug and bar the motor over after replacing the injector to clear the cylinder, correct.
The High Pressure Oil System is now full of air. Before the truck will start, the starter must crank the motor over enough to build and refill the system. It does not get all the air out, but it will start. Running the truck and doing repetitive hard starts will clear the system.

If you made the batteries clear the cylinder, you just put a lot of crud in you exhaust system, including the turbo. And you made the starter work very hard (ever heard of hydrolock) to first compress all that liquid and than shove it out a small exhaust port.

Charge the batteries and hope you didn't bend a rod.
P.S. Do not turn the motor over for more than 20 seconds and let it rest for at least a minute between tries.

Ford_7.3

Reaction score
Yes I cleared the cylinder. I know all about hydrolock. It does try to crank at least. I must got to get all the air out. I really appreciate yalls help

Ford_7.3

Reaction score
Charged the batteries and changed the negative terminals. And found the glow plug relay was bad so I replaced it. It did crank for a few seconds but cut off and won't crank back. I think I'm going to pull the injectors back out and back track myself.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.