A/C compressor

BeauxPete

Reaction score
One of the only things I didn't change with my build was the a/c compressor. Yesterday I lost cool air while driving and pulled over. Everything looked good up top so got to looking underneath and on the frame rail and engine cross memeber I noticed a wet look. Looked closed and could see the green oil all over things. So now I need to replace and noticed these things are high for OEM. Has anyone used any of the cheaper aftermarket ones I see online? Tricks to changing out would be helpful also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

ditch_dawg

Reaction score
Not being familiar at all with these compressors as I work on heavy equipment, just wondering if it has a pressure relief valve on the back of the compressor. They will open if the system pressure gets high enough. Can you tell where the oil is coming from? Did you open up your system when you did your build? Just hate to see replace a compressor if there may be an issue with your condenser....blocked with debris, if you opened up the system you could have got debris in there or did not pull a good enough vacuum to get moisture out or maybe there is air in the system. Unfortunately with the A/C system the compressor pays the price for something being wrong elsewhere.

BeauxPete

Reaction score
It happened when I moved the temp from warm back to cold yesterday. It's been flawless up until that point. It may have been the pressure relief valve letting go but everything other than the compressor is new. Have a a/c machine and I vacuumed and leak checked the system a few times for 30 mins each before I filled the system. I've got 6500 miles on the truck since build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

ditch_dawg

Reaction score
OK so if it was my truck. I would first check the compressor to see if it rotates by hand? If it rotates without binding you maybe OK. You may have to put a wrench on it to rotate it, make sure you are turning it in the correct direction.

If it is seized on the inside then I would definitely pull it off. I would then check the refrigerant ports for debris. If there is no debris you might be lucky and not have garbage in the system. You may be able to just replace the compressor....you need to be careful on getting right oil amount in the system. Did you add extra when you replaced all of the components?

There are a couple of things that come to mind with the pressure relief valve opening, too much oil or blocked condenser. But the condenser is new and everything was working OK before.

I have seen on a machine where the oil amount was too high, so much so that the compressor was trying to compress oil. It makes a hell of noise, it can cause the compressor to vent out the relief valve and it will bend stuff on the inside of the compressor.

If you can turn over the compressor and there is no debris, it may be worth a try to recover the system, pull a good vacuum and recharge the system. The pressure relief valve will re-seat or at least the ones we use do. I wouldn't add any oil back in as you may have too much.

I honestly do not have any experience with aftermarket stuff we usually use Sanden's or TCCI.

If you do find debris in the compressor ports. That's a crap deal and I usually replace everything. You can flush the lines, but I have seen where valve debris has actually embedded in the hose inner liner, which caused a leak down the road. The aluminum evaps and condenser they use now days you can't flush them out. And they will plug if you have too much oil in the system.

Wish I was a little closer to give you a hand.

Latest posts

Members online