A diamond in the rough. A new project.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Yep the fan shroud needs some trimming too for the original one to work. The dual alt shroud we had was all cracked.

sootie

Reaction score
did you have to do something to the ecm as well? i heard that the computer treats dual alts differently.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
did you have to do something to the ecm as well? i heard that the computer treats dual alts differently.

The plug on the passenger side fender has a jumper in it to tell the pcm it's a single alt. Simply unplug it and plug the second alternator in. There is very little info out there on the dual alt conversion for the 6.0. The little info I saw was pretty much crap.
IMAG0201_zps944bbb5e.jpg

I'll grab a pic of the plug and jumper if I remember tomorrow.

ingodshands945

Reaction score
i really appriciat the pictures due to the fact that im wanting to do some of this to my truck sweet truck make it a long bed sleeper thats what i would do

Mdub707

Reaction score
I had read that swapping from dual alts to single and vice verse required a reprogram at Ford. I had looked into getting rid of the dual alt setup and going with a single when I first got the truck and was basically told if I did it I couldn't drive it until I had it reprogrammed, it basically needed to be swapped in the dealer parking lot. I'd love to know what really needs to happen there...

6.0Powerjoke

Reaction score
I had read that swapping from dual alts to single and vice verse required a reprogram at Ford. I had looked into getting rid of the dual alt setup and going with a single when I first got the truck and was basically told if I did it I couldn't drive it until I had it reprogrammed, it basically needed to be swapped in the dealer parking lot. I'd love to know what really needs to happen there...

There is definitely more to it then just swapping on the setup and the harness.
The setup is on the truck but I currently have the factory jumper harness plugged in so it is only charging off the top alternator. With the dual harness on it goes to swap to the lower and stop charging.
Probably needs a reprogram but I haven't had time to deal with it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ok, I was kind of curious myself, I never went through with it and I've had people ask me since. Never really knew the exact answer. I think I had a PDF that kind of explained it, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Latest posts

Members online