A More Durable Degas: Mishimoto’s 6.0L Aluminum Degas Bottle R&D

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Project update!

A More Durable Degas. Mishimoto’s Ford Powerstroke 6.0L Aluminum Degas Bottle R&D, Part 3: 3D-Printed Prototypes

With a rough 3D model in place, we started constructing our 3D-printed prototypes to finalize our 6.0L degas bottle design and to refine any areas where adjustments are needed.

Due to the large size of this degas unit, we printed the bottle in multiple sections and then attached each portion together.

Below is a look at our first 3D print fitted into place on our 6.0L.

3D-Test-Fit-11.jpg

3D-printed 6.0 Powerstroke degas bottle

3D-Test-Fit-9.jpg

3D-Printed 6.0 Powerstroke degas bottle

3D-Test-Fit-13.jpg

Our first prototype needed some work. The rear portion of the bottle had clearance concerns, so we adjusted and tweaked a few of the faces of our design.

3D-Tank-5.jpg

3D-printed 6.0 degas bottle

3D-Tank-5.jpg

The big change we needed to make to this design was the angle of the rear portion of the bottle.

3D-Tank-5.jpg

Adjustments were made to the design, and we printed a second 3D prototype. I wonder if our printer is beginning to feel used and abused. Do 3D printers have feelings?

Check out our second prototype unit.

3D-Tank-3.jpg

3D-printed 6.0 Powerstroke parts

3D-Tank-1.jpg

3D-Tank-2.jpg

Once assembled we installed this prototype in the truck and checked all the clearances.

3D-Test-Fit-3.jpg

3D-Test-Fit-6.jpg

For the most part this unit fit quite well. After a couple more minor adjustments, our team was pleased with the end result in fitment and projected appearance.

Coming Up – Functional Prototype

Now that we have a concrete design, our team will be constructing an aluminum prototype to check both fitment and functionality.

Thanks for reading!
-John

strokin6L

Reaction score
Looks great so far John. Now, as more and more guys are installing ported intake manifolds....coolant needs to be rerouted from the outlet of the oil cooler back to the degas tank since it will no longer be going through the intake manifold. I would love to see a 3/8" or 5/8" threaded port on the side of the tank facing the engine.

Mishimoto

Reaction score
:thumbup:
So far so good!

Thanks!

Looks great so far John. Now, as more and more guys are installing ported intake manifolds....coolant needs to be rerouted from the outlet of the oil cooler back to the degas tank since it will no longer be going through the intake manifold. I would love to see a 3/8" or 5/8" threaded port on the side of the tank facing the engine.

Thanks for the input strokin. I will pass this on to the engineer tackling the bottle. I do know we intend to incorporate one 1/8" port for a sensor. Adding another is an option we can definitely evaluate.

Thanks
-John

strokin6L

Reaction score
This way guys can do this with a 5/8" line from the oil cooler to the tank when having a ported manifold

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-29-19-47-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-29-19-47-22.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 173

jwlandry

Reaction score

Would be a great addition

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Let us know what you think!

We are holding a poll to determine what forum members want to see on their Degas bottle, a sight glass or a sight tube.

Vote HERE.

Thanks!

-Sara

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Update!

Our samples are complete and installed on the 6.0. Thanks to the feedback we received, we will be proceeding with a sight tube for the Degas bottle. Check them out and let us know what you think!

104rt68.jpg

14ufgnp.jpg

ei1006.jpg

2guyvd5.jpg

2whgxvm.jpg

Thanks!
-Sara

nighthawk285

Reaction score
Have you guys tested fitment with A/M air intakes? From those pictures it looks like the top clip for the air filter is touching....or at least way too damn close to the bottle. Looks close sitting still but once engine vibration is involved I can see that touching and rubbing

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Have you guys tested fitment with A/M air intakes? From those pictures it looks like the top clip for the air filter is touching....or at least way too damn close to the bottle. Looks close sitting still but once engine vibration is involved I can see that touching and rubbing

We have not been able to test fit this with any aftermarket intakes at this time so we can not say for sure. However, this will fit with all stock components.

Great observation on the clip in front of the tank! It was a tad close for comfort for us as well, so we have made a few tweaks in the final design to allow it to sit back farther. There should be no rubbing issues with our finalized product.

-Sara

Latest posts

Members online