About to give up

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
Got my roller rockers on last night and started my engine on the stand and ran it about an hour. Did the hot retorque and got it fired back up and it was makin a strange pop noise out the intake. I just figured i got a push rod out of place so pulled the vc off only to find milk everywhere. Ran about 1-2 min after the retorque and put about a half gallon of water in the oil and none was coming out the exhaust. I have not pressurized it to check yet but i just dont get it, it was fine before the retorque. On another topic why do we even need a hot retorque? No one i know retorques fire rings on their tractors and some have even reused the rings.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Hang in there man. Youve got several months before season . You will get it all ironed out. At least its on a stand and you dont have to pull it back out of the truck.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Ouch.... let us know where the oil and water are mixing.... maybe its something simple and not detrimental to the build.

Charles

Reaction score
If you've got it out of the truck.... I would investigate all the things associated with firing it that way before I looked inside the engine. Did you mess with anything like front cover, oil cooler or anything?

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
Block busted around a head bolt hole. Now part it all out or take another kick in the nuts and spend all the money on another block. Anyone care to sponsor me w a done up block and put it together would be great.

Last edited:

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Block busted around a head bolt hole. Now part it all out or take another kick in the nuts and spend all the money on another block. Anyone care to sponsor me w a done up block and put it together would be great.

Wow i dont think ive heard of that happening too often, what number were you using for the retorque?

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
125, yes lower than called for. That hole,under an injector, has a steel insert all the other bolt holes have double helicoils basically is a worthless soft block. Its a late model obs. Decked, 30 over, line hone for girdle, filled, half grooves for fire rings lol just the basics.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
125, yes lower than called for. That hole,under an injector, has a steel insert all the other bolt holes have double helicoils basically is a worthless soft block. Its a late model obs. Decked, 30 over, line hone for girdle, filled, half grooves for fire rings lol just the basics.

Ouch man.... Never like seeing that happen!

Big Bore

Reaction score
Soft block? How does that happen? Anyway to check a block for hardness or have it hardened and avoid that in the future?

Again, just damn man, esp after learning all the work put into it. I have sympathy pains for you man.

JD3020

Reaction score
Damn that sucks. I wish i had a built motor to offer ya, but all i have is a stock SD long block. I just hope you keep going with the 7.3, one of my favorite pullers out there!

co04cobra

Reaction score
Damn, man that does suck. You have any spare blocks at all? If you dont PM or call me I know I can you get you another block cheap.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
I am pretty certain i can get a free sd block. Bad casting i guess. You can have them heat treated. The head ache and work of having to tear it all down and start over is almost worse than the money.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
So the block you were using was already messed up and repaired at one point? You mentioned helicoils in there

He apparently had a soft block that seemed to pull the threads out of block for the studs repeatedly - I believe he ended up helicoiling all the threaded holes in the block for the head studs. I could be slightly off on that - but pretty close.

Latest posts

Members online