About to give up

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
..just measure each cylinder bare (no head/torque plate) to the nearest 10 thou...and then bolt a TP/head on it and see how much it distorts...

if it moves more than 0.001 then I'd pass...

recheck after machine work

For clarification you mean measure to the nearest 0.0001" and if the measurement varies before and after torque plate by more than 0.001" then scrap it. Correct? I would hate to see someone try and measure it to 0.010" and think they are doing anything worthwhile for determining if a block is junk.

golfer

Reaction score
For clarification you mean measure to the nearest 0.0001" and if the measurement varies before and after torque plate by more than 0.001" then scrap it. Correct? I would hate to see someone try and measure it to 0.010" and think they are doing anything worthwhile for determining if a block is junk.

correct..when I said 10 thou...I assumed that meant nearest ten thousandth.... .0001"

and if the block distorts by more than one thousandth (with head measurements versus w/o head measurements)... 0.001" then scrap it.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
correct..when I said 10 thou...I assumed that meant nearest ten thousandth.... .0001"

and if the block distorts by more than one thousandth (with head measurements versus w/o head measurements)... 0.001" then scrap it.

I just wanted to clarify for those that might get confused and think you meant 10 thousands (0.010"). Some people don't necessarily make the correct assumptions from what they read on the interweb. LOL

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
How easy would it do that if its filled? Also prob a stupid ? But would you need to line hone for a girdle if you fill it with out torquing the mains?

golfer

Reaction score
Ok i planned on it just wondered. Also .01 gap for the pistons is what i should have right?

no, LOL...

you (the assembler?) and especially the machine shop performing the machine work... need to invest in the Ford Service Manual (2 volumes, about 1500pages+/-)

JDub

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your terrible luck...if there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.

JDub

Reaction score
We do sell the Fire Ring kits for a discounted rate if you're needing a replacement set. Call us when you're ready

Latest posts

Members online