Absolute Performance EGR Delete

Mpoage

Reaction score
Well it's taken me long enough but I've finally made time to type all this out.

I received one of the first Absolute Performance EGR deletes in the mail a few weeks ago. Everything looked very nice and the main reason I went with it was that I did not like like the idea of a major cooling system passage being blocked off. So that evening I decided to tear into my truck to install the kit.

20140210_204216_zps4buif7uy.jpg

I started by removing the intake tube, intake box, the grill, and I advise draining the coolant. I didn't drain it but when lifted the egr cooler off the valve cover it dumped about 4 gallons of coolant in my driveway.

With the grill removed it makes it much easier to get the coolant hose put on the radiator. You should also spray some WD-40 on the part of of the hose that slides on the radiator.

20140210_210716_zpsav5jvbrc.jpg

These bolts are the hardest to get out and if your truck is higher mileage you risk Breaking them off. I advise you to use a good quality socket and use steady force to break them loose. If you mange to get them out without breaking them you can breath a sigh of relief because the worst part is over.

20140102_164500_zpsgln7niub.jpg

The only other part that is tricky is getting the EBP tube unbolted from the egr cooler. There is a 10mm nut on the backside that just needs to be loosened off. You don't have to take it completely off because the tube has a slot in it.

20140210_205415_zpsev9qzzns.jpg

After that there is two 8mm bolts on the bottom and top of the cooler that you can get to by using a wobble and some exstensions. There is also two screw-type push pins attached to the cooler that needs to be taken out. I just used a screwdriver and hammer and knocked the tops off of them.

20140210_205403_zpsxovzmbcm.jpg

20140210_205428_zps81r2w7hb.jpg

There is also three bolts that hold the electrical harness to the cooler on the front towards the bottom.

20140210_205445_zpsskvrxyyo.jpg

Once you get all of those bolts out the cooler should be ready to be maneuvered out of there.

Also you want want to make sure and save the gaskets that came off of the original tubes. You really don't want want to have an exhaust or boost leak.

I also re ran all the coolant lines to help clean things up and I will get some better pictures of it tomorrow.

20140111_175006_zpstnfdehrk.jpg

I hope this write-up helps people with deleting their egr. I tried to be as specific as possible. The first time doing it it probably took me two and a half hours. I could probably do another one in a little under an hour.

I also need to mention that this plate dropped my cruising coolant temps 2-4 degrees over a standard plate that blocks the flow of coolant.

A big thanks to Steve@Absolute for dealing with me and my frustrations when things didn't quite go as planned. He really got things back to me in a timely manner so I could get my truck rolling.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Matt

Last edited:

Buck1

Reaction score
Mine waiting as well along with another pile of parts....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Awesome write-up Matt, thank you! Glad it worked out the way it did with your truck :D

All you other slackers better get to turning wrenches already :poke:

stevens6.7

Reaction score
Thank you for this write up Matt! :bowfast: Now I have the confidence to put mine on! I've only got 6300 miles so hopefully those bolts won't be too tough to get off.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
That's a nice comforter Matt! Did you rob a courtyard Marriott? LOL

Matt told Tom Bodett to leave those motel 6 lights off lol

Thank you for this write up Matt! :bowfast: Now I have the confidence to put mine on! I've only got 6300 miles so hopefully those bolts won't be too tough to get off.

Get after it Steven! Let me know if you have any questions

ugena6uh.jpg

I have Steve's kit on mine too and love it!

Looks incredibly clean my friend. You set the bar high with that build

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
Holding stainless braided lines from getting tangled in working components, yes there are neatly placed zip ties. When you zip tie your intercooler to your battery is when there is a problem.

MorganY

Reaction score
I'd rather a well placed p clip! :)

Lines p-clipped together instead of zap strapped

At less than $0.10 a tie, with a 2 year life span, it's very cost effective if done correctly. There are already well placed P clips in places they need to be.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392650033.715935.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392650033.715935.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392650072.182750.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1392650072.182750.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 78

Latest posts

Members online