Added Some LEDs In The Bed

DcMoore

Reaction score
I've been and haven't posted on here in a while so I figured I would share.

I added some strips of LEDs to my tool box and underneath the bed rails...What a huge help they are at night. I have to wired to my cargo light so anytime the light comes on they turn on.

Ill post some pictures with out the lights turned on later.

10255282_10203586688691933_6288539196009989148_n.jpg

10268700_10203586689011941_1892348721690265674_n.jpg

jdc753

Reaction score
Awesome!! I've been meaning to do this for years at least in the tool box, but the bed rair lights are awesome too. Any links to the lights you used? and where did you run the wiring into the bed from?

dsberman94

Reaction score
Did you do this to yours?

I wish I would of done this years ago instead of jacking around with a flash light.

I have the roll of LEDs sitting in a drawer waiting. Just haven't found time. I'm also going to wire them to something like an old car door or refrigerator switch so they're on when the tailgate is open and off when the tailgate is closed. With a toggle in the cab the bypasses the switch. Something like that.

DcMoore

Reaction score
Awesome!! I've been meaning to do this for years at least in the tool box, but the bed rair lights are awesome too. Any links to the lights you used? and where did you run the wiring into the bed from?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__41511__High_Density_Waterproof_LED_Flexible_Strip_White_1mtr_UK_Warehouse_.html

These are the water proof ones, I just got the plain strips without the coating which have turned out to be waterproof and have not corroded. The strips have some sticky on the back of them but I used contact cement on the bed and the strips to hold them in place.

I ran the wire from the cargo light down the rear driver's side pillar and to the bed. I will try to get some pictures of them later today.

I have the roll of LEDs sitting in a drawer waiting. Just haven't found time. I'm also going to wire them to something like an old car door or refrigerator switch so they're on when the tailgate is open and off when the tailgate is closed. With a toggle in the cab the bypasses the switch. Something like that.

I was going to install a micro switch on the tool box but these LEDs only pull 400mA

smcox1

Reaction score
You can get 5m rolls of 5050 waterproof leds for $16 shipped on eBay

dsberman94

Reaction score
I was going to install a micro switch on the tool box but these LEDs only pull 400mA

I'm not so worried about the power draw. Sometimes I remove my tailgate when helping out hauling hay and I don't want them on when the tailgate is removed. Or I may want them on with the tailgate up. Just the way i want them for the uses i think I'll have for them. So I'll have two switches. One bypasses the switch. The other gives power to the switch. My LEDs are also red. I ordered them a few months ago. So I'm pretty sure I ordered red.

DcMoore

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1400274619909.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400274631419.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400274646425.jpg
I really need to do something with the wires coming off of the strip before they break off.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

BlackPearl03

Reaction score
I've been heavily contemplating this, but haven't settled on a light source. Mainly because I was worried about the brightness and the dead zone in the middle of the bed. It appears the brightness of your lights is perfect. But misses the middle. Can you shoot a pic of the placement under the bed rails?

dsberman94

Reaction score
I've been heavily contemplating this, but haven't settled on a light source. Mainly because I was worried about the brightness and the dead zone in the middle of the bed. It appears the brightness of your lights is perfect. But misses the middle. Can you shoot a pic of the placement under the bed rails?

If you know someone who has a wood shop, take a 1"x1" piece of wood. Have them rip it down the length of it at a 45 degree angle. Then epoxy that up in the corner of the bed rail. That should project light out towards the middle of the bed more. And since the LED strips like the one the OP used and the ones I got off eBay are a 180* spread of light, it will still hit the sides of the bed and the middle.

BlackPearl03

Reaction score
If you know someone who has a wood shop, take a 1"x1" piece of wood. Have them rip it down the length of it at a 45 degree angle. Then epoxy that up in the corner of the bed rail. That should project light out towards the middle of the bed more. And since the LED strips like the one the OP used and the ones I got off eBay are a 180* spread of light, it will still hit the sides of the bed and the middle.

That's a great idea. I appreciate the help and will look into it further.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
def need to finish mine up i really like that. I put a small strip in my tool box and what a difference that made.

Latest posts

Members online