Adding 4x4

Twinboys

Reaction score
I found another 6.0 excursion that I am interested in. It is an 05 two wheel drive. Since they are the same as an F250, what would it take to convert it to 4x4.
1. I have a 3.73 Dana 60 for it, New v code leaf springs and would hangers from a junk 4x4 bolt right on? (The dana 60 was going in even if I bought a 4x4).

2. transmission and xfer case and Excursion drive shafts from a junk yard and sell my tranny. Bolt right in? (tranny + xfer around $1000 on car-part.com)

3. will a manual shift xfer case work in an excursion, or does the stick need to mount over the transmission tunnel where the ductwork for the rear heat/air is? otherwise I don't know if it just a matter of adding a switch for an electric shift.

4. Any issues, parts and/or expenses I forgot?

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
you will need a new wiring harness if you are adding esof transfer case. maybe even a different pcm calibration-im not sure.

sootie

Reaction score
it is the trans harness-it may plug into the engine harness, i cant remember. tcm for sure

Last edited:

G Racing

Reaction score
I would ditch the leaf springs and run coil springs, but that's just me. Yes the axle will fit. You can use your trans if you change the output shaft and rear tail housing. Pretty easy swap. I would run the manual transfer case. If not you will need the wiring harness, all the vacuum lines, switches and solenoids for the esof.

Twinboys

Reaction score
Finally, something definitive. Good to know. The 4x2 turned out to be a scam and I bought a 4x4. and now to the next question... I'll start another post.

Latest posts

Members online