Advice on wheels

truckman1974

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been looking at wheels for a while now and I am trying to explore EVERY option before making my purchase. I'm very picky but also very tight......being in the military causes me to count my pennies closely (they just don't pay us a whole lot...that's no secret).

Little background: I have powdercoated 22" Fuel Nutz on the truck now. 2 of them were scuffed and I can't let it ride like that, so I thought about maybe having the scuffed ones re-powdercoated, but not sure if you'd be able to tell, also considered buying a couple replacements to be powdercoated (but wondered if you'd be able to tell the difference between the 2 fresh coated vs. the 2 that were coated a year ago)....also considered buy a used set from ncollins on here and having those coated (which is still an option). I haven't made a final decision yet but want to get it hashed out in the next week or so.

Anyway.....of course I love the American Force wheels. I've had my eyes on some AF Nightmares for a while and I found what I think is the best deal out there. Basically, the wheels wrapped in 37x13.50x22 Trail Grapplers with the TPMS sensors installed, lugs, locking lug kit, mount/balance, and shipped insured to me for $5,050.00. That's about the cheapest I could find them (if any of you out there can beat that price let me know).

Now, if I buy these AF Nightmares, they have the faceplates that can be painted to match as most of you know. If I have the plates PTM, the center cap will need to be PTM as well......however, I can also see myself wanting to use the option of riding the wheels without the plates sometimes and the wheel just being all polished (isn't the AF Blade the same as the Nightmare but without the plates attached?). When I roll with just the polished wheel I don't want to use the painted center cap so I would need a 2nd set of center caps in chrome to match the rest of the wheel (I'm OCD like that.....actually I'm CDO......that's OCD but with the letters in order!! lol)..... So I go on ebay and try to find a set of caps. I didn't care which set I found just wanted to see how much they were. If I bought a set of black then I could just request the chrome ones if I ordered the wheels or vice versa but would still end up with 2 sets of opposite caps. There's people selling the caps for $100 a piece! Is that really how much they cost???

I found this guy selling a set of chrome caps for $8.00 each (new) and he had 4 available (so basically the set was $32 plus shipping). I figured I should jump on this and could always resell them if I didn't end up using them. The caps are 4.5" long, according to his listing. IS THIS THE RIGHT SIZE CAP I WOULD NEED TO USE ON THE NIGHTMARES??? I bought them (chrome in color) and figured if I order the wheels I would just request black caps that I could later color match.

So to all of you who know....let me know.....will these caps work on the Nightmares? Is my thinking straight? What are your comments regarding any of this? I want the set of wheels to last A LONG time...not have to buy another set of anything in a couple years. My thought process is that I get the Nightmares to use during the summer months, get the 2 scuffed wheels re-powdercoated and use them during the winter months (they'd still have the current tires on them so it would just be a switch of the sets).

Here's the link to the center caps I just bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221745702571?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Did I get a deal or is the people who are trying to sell them for $100 a cap just smoking crack???

Sorry to be so long winded.....just wanted to try to provide as much info, up front, as possible.

Thanks!

polaris7x

Reaction score
Well if your looking at spending over 5k on wheels your deff not making pennies, sounds like your just spending your pennies in the wrong spot. But if it was me I'd look at purchasing two of the same rims you have now and then save up for the other set then sell the ones you currently have

Koda22

Reaction score
Well if your looking at spending over 5k on wheels your deff not making pennies, sounds like your just spending your pennies in the wrong spot. But if it was me I'd look at purchasing two of the same rims you have now and then save up for the other set then sell the ones you currently have

My same thoughts....

truckman1974

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment.....I can assure you it's like making pennies. Having said that, as a lot of people on here know, I've been serving over in West Africa for almost 2 years now and just been saving up for the wheels I really want (it takes pennies to make dollars!). Just because I've saved enough doesn't mean I want to dive in the shallow end head first......just trying to be informed and possibly help someone else along the way who may be in the same position.

Latest posts

Members online