After market drive shafts?

Cody

Reaction score
What if anything are people running for after market drive shafts? Im in the market for one.. On Sunday of this week I split my rear yoke while going down the road, needless to say scrambled to find one off a buddy got the truck back on the road, everything was great no shudders or weird vibrations..

Fast forward to this morning coming home from work and i heard a snap a little bang bang and had no power, instantly knew what it was.. pull over to the shoulder and get out, hoping to expect to see my drive shaft dragging, nope not that lucky.. walk back about a half mile or so and there it is about 50 yards off the road all beat to hell and back twisted and the ears spread wide as can be... so needless to say im in the market for a new drive shaft as no bone yards have one locally.. so whatre you guys using?

also what would have caused this to happen yet again... possibly the drive shaft was a little dammaged and just the everyday stress helped it open up a little more untill it gave way?

Thanks in advance guys..

MINK

Reaction score
How bad is your shaft? This morning you made it sound like you didnt fine it - did the carrier come apart?

HOOV3R

Reaction score
Should be able to get one made at a driveshaft shop. My local shop had one on the shelf when my brothers wore out.

Cody

Reaction score
Josh i couldnt find it but after a couple trips back i managed too.. its defiantly gonna need tubed and new ears put on it, also the ears are tweaked way out and wollered out.. also the counterweight its pretty ground on one side.

chappy

Reaction score
What power level are you at ? Is it possible yo have a really bad axle wrap issue or something?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Long bed cc and 6" lift equals need a longer slip yoke. Not enough splined shaft to hold together. Then you add heavy wheels and tires. Cablooooey!

Ive never had trouble. Hell my truck.made it 250k miles lifted on the.stockers. An acquaintance.of.mine.threw an 8" lift on his.05 ccsb ford and promptly did.just what Cody.did. Ive.got.access to a.shop in Ottawa IL that will build me a one piece for $800, iirc.

Cody

Reaction score
UPDATE: Had a two piece shaft made as heavy duty as the shop would make it, they couldnt do a 1 piece as there was no way to put in a slip yoke, i got a new front shaft, carrier bearing, and all new ujoints thrown on while they were at it.. however i keep snapping bolts in the rear yoke, im good with an extractor set but damn im getting tired of it... grabbed a few "hardened" bolts from work, the kind ive had a 1/2'' flex head ratchet on thats 18" long on and so far no snapped bolts, however they keep working themselves loose out of the yoke, anyone have a clue why that is, ive twisted more than one 1/4" allen tightening the strap bolts down...

ToMang07

Reaction score
UPDATE: Had a two piece shaft made as heavy duty as the shop would make it, they couldnt do a 1 piece as there was no way to put in a slip yoke, i got a new front shaft, carrier bearing, and all new ujoints thrown on while they were at it.. however i keep snapping bolts in the rear yoke, im good with an extractor set but damn im getting tired of it... grabbed a few "hardened" bolts from work, the kind ive had a 1/2'' flex head ratchet on thats 18" long on and so far no snapped bolts, however they keep working themselves loose out of the yoke, anyone have a clue why that is, ive twisted more than one 1/4" allen tightening the strap bolts down...

If you don't mind, how much did you pay?

Cody

Reaction score
600.50 or something like that.. plus $16 for a strap kit

it may seem high but everything is new.. from ears, to the slip yoke, to ujoints... the only thing the driveline shop re used is the "flange" (for lack of better words) that the front half shaft bolts to the t-case

ToMang07

Reaction score
600.50 or something like that.. plus $16 for a strap kit

it may seem high but everything is new.. from ears, to the slip yoke, to ujoints... the only thing the driveline shop re used is the "flange" (for lack of better words) that the front half shaft bolts to the t-case

That front and back?

87jumpy

Reaction score

I would try a dab of low grade lock tight to keep them from backing up

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

bad12jr

Reaction score
Loctite for sure. My front flange on the t case will do that without loctite on them.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

Latest posts

Members online