Air compresser in tool box

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
My plan Is to buy an inverter run it to my toolbox, then buy a small air compresser just big enough to run a small impact or air up a tire. And mout both of them in the tool box. This way I would have air I could use for working and for train horns. I was also thinking about being able to run tools off the inverter as well.
Now for the questions........

I was thinking about running the inverter to the bigest aux switch on the truck. So I can turn it on or off is this a good or bad idea and will the switch hold that much.

So how big of an inverter do I need and how big of a compresser do I need?

And do yall think this will work?

psdguy95

Reaction score
Thats a good idea man. I've always thought about doing something like this. I don't know enough about electric to give you an answer.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
lol if I was back in south tx I would have just pulled into by friends shop or ours at the ranch and he would have had everything done in an hour. Now I have to send him pics to see if I am doing stuff right.LOL

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Run power for the inverter to a relay and then the relay to the battery. Then use your toggle as the signal to activate the relay when you want it on/off.

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
First find out what size compressor you want to run, then pick an inverter that is big enough to power it. I would not run the power off a switch or even a relay (would have to be big). Instead find a inverter with a switch for on and off and lengthen those wires to your toggle switch on the dash.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
My plan Is to buy an inverter run it to my toolbox, then buy a small air compresser just big enough to run a small impact or air up a tire. And mout both of them in the tool box. This way I would have air I could use for working and for train horns. I was also thinking about being able to run tools off the inverter as well.
Now for the questions........

I was thinking about running the inverter to the bigest aux switch on the truck. So I can turn it on or off is this a good or bad idea and will the switch hold that much.

So how big of an inverter do I need and how big of a compresser do I need?

And do yall think this will work?

This is actually a good way to set it up for what it sounds like you need imo. I had my air setup done just like this when I first put air on my truck before I switched over to valair compressors.

First find out what size compressor you want to run, then pick an inverter that is big enough to power it. I would not run the power off a switch or even a relay (would have to be big). Instead find a inverter with a switch for on and off and lengthen those wires to your toggle switch on the dash.

Remote mounting the Inverter power switch would be the way to go. The power draw from an Inverter would kill a relay in short order. Some of the Inverters actually have a kit that allows you to do this without splicing or anything. I believe there is a kit for the one that I used that did just this, but I never got into it as I knew that mine was only temporary. You can see the plug in port for the remote switch in the second picture. I still have the Inverter if you are interested in it.

The inverter size that you will need will be based off of how big of an air compressor you want to run. The larger the compressor, the larger the inverter will have to be in order to run it.

Here is some pics of the one that I have and used.

IMG_20101127_154047.jpg

IMG_20101127_154058.jpg

IMG_20101127_154107.jpg

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
I was going to cut an extension cord run it from the batery to the inverter along the frame. Then figure out an on and off switch from the cab.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Sounds good. And FYI an extension cord is not going to be anywhere big enough to power even my 2500 watt inverter. I had dual feed 2 gauge wire running from each battery to mine if I remember correctly. Might have been heavier.

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
I was going to cut an extension cord run it from the batery to the inverter along the frame. Then figure out an on and off switch from the cab.

Be careful with this, make sure the wire in the extension chord is able to carry the current required for the inverter. And don't forget fuse.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
I was thinking about maybe getting the compressor at harbor freight due to being on a college budget.lol Or I could wait till we have a sale at work or lowes does. If it is not for everyday use a hbor freight one should be ok right.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Good plan lol. Where are you located at?

I think the harbor freight one would work as long as you are not running it all the time. Are you looking at the pancake compressors?

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
College station

Yea either a pancake one or a biger one that I would cut the wheels and handles off to make it fit. But I think if I get a high psi pancake I should be able to run an impact or air ratchet.

Latest posts

Members online