Air compresser in tool box

Isaac3384

Reaction score
If there isn't any particular reason you want to run an inverter other than to run your compressor, look up the thread called 'On Board Air System'. I listed a bunch of info on great items to buy, and where to get them. It's all 12v stuff, so an inverter wouldn't be nessicary. If you go the route of using an inverter, look at what the full load amps is on the compressor; multiply the amps times the volts to get the watts (i.e. 3 amps x 120 volts = 360 watts). From there, you can size your inverter accordingly. Also, as far as a switch is concerned, use the switch to operate a relay. Let the relay handle the load of the inverter.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
If there isn't any particular reason you want to run an inverter other than to run your compressor, look up the thread called 'On Board Air System'. I listed a bunch of info on great items to buy, and where to get them. It's all 12v stuff, so an inverter wouldn't be nessicary. If you go the route of using an inverter, look at what the full load amps is on the compressor; multiply the amps times the volts to get the watts (i.e. 3 amps x 120 volts = 360 watts). From there, you can size your inverter accordingly. Also, as far as a switch is concerned, use the switch to operate a relay. Let the relay handle the load of the inverter.

I would like the inverter to run power tools and charge portible tool batteries. Its anoying as hell when you only need to put a few more screws in and you have no more juice. Plus my tool box is efing huge. So i have the room.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean...I just thought I'd shed some light on another route if you hadn't looked into it. Good luck

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
I know a good bit about what you are looking for, and how to do it.

depending on the compressor, you need a big inverter...2500watt might not cut it.

Wiring is KEY...as well as an inverter big enough....then there is safety....figure something wrong, not wire it right, or just try and halfass it....and you'll be mailing your truck in a doggie bag to your insurance company when it bursts into flames..

...I'm glad you are going 120v....12v air systems are for sissies...LOL

I run a 10,000 watt inverter, a 2.5hp air compressor, and a total of 15 gallons of air.

InverterandAirCompressorjuly20089.jpg

InverterandAirCompressorjuly20082.jpg

InverterandAirCompressorjuly200813.jpg

InverterandAirCompressorjuly200815.jpg

If you have any questions.... like staying away from Harbor Freight cheap Chinese junk that won't work....just ask...LOL

Last edited:

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Tank's setup is what I used as a model for mine when I did it originally. Def a nice setup. And the 12v systems work great for someone that doesn't want 100 pounds of wire running under there truck, doesn't want to upgrade to a high output alt, or doesn't need to run power tools off of it. :poke:

Fwiw my air system uses 2 12V compressors and will run my 1/2 inch impact to change tires on my 450. Actually changed a tire that blew out on the side of the road with it and a tire bar.

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
Tank how much was that inverter? I am guessing 700-1000?

I paid under $400 brand new from donrowe.com...

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/wagan_5000_c.html

but...that isn't the only costs...you'll need wire...big wire...I used welding cable...that will cost around $200(with ends).

Here is a secret...have the inverter wired up completely before you buy an air compressor....because if you buy a high amperage air compressor...you'll have to return it.

....I tried about 10 air compressors before I found one that worked well....the problem i was having was the initial amperage at start-up that the air compressor draws is astronomical.

PSD-BLACK-CLOUD

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Tank. This is going to cost alot more than i had plan for. I the 10,000 watt inverter is around $1200 (400 on ebay), air compressor is going to be about $200, and all the wire and stuff to do it probly $200. So almost to 2 grand with all top quality or get it done for a grand cheap and wory about something breaking. I think i am going to have to do this piece by peice and do it right

What if I got a 16000 watt peak? then no wories? and a 110 amp compressor

Last edited:

TANK'S 250

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Tank. This is going to cost alot more than i had plan for. I the 10,000 watt inverter is around $1200 (400 on ebay), air compressor is going to be about $200, and all the wire and stuff to do it probly $200. So almost to 2 grand with all top quality or get it done for a grand cheap and wory about something breaking. I think i am going to have to do this piece by peice and do it right

What if I got a 16000 watt peak? then no wories? and a 110 amp compressor

Let me redo your figures...
$425 10,000 watt peak inverter from Donrowe.com
$169 Portercable pancake air compressor w/ 5gal tank from Lowes
$200 welding cable and ends at local welding shop
$29 for inverter remote switch

Total = about $830

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
I've got two viair 480C's (I think) 12V compressors under my truck feeding two six gallon air tanks where the spare used to be. I can change a tire or air on up with no issue. I run a 200 psi switch and have less than $500 in the whole setup. Don't ignore the 12V, just buy a good one or two. Viair is what most of the custom vehicle crowd prefers.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
I've got two viair 480C's (I think) 12V compressors under my truck feeding two six gallon air tanks where the spare used to be. I can change a tire or air on up with no issue. I run a 200 psi switch and have less than $500 in the whole setup. Don't ignore the 12V, just buy a good one or two. Viair is what most of the custom vehicle crowd prefers.

This is the same setup that I run now. Works great

TANK'S 250

Reaction score

I agree that Viair makes quality air compressors,....but it seems the OP wants the ability to run power tools as well..and for $830 he can have more air than he'll ever need and...be able to run as much power as a small house....WIN!

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
Mine put out 5 cfm with 12 gallons of reserve. I wouldn't go rolling a mobile workshop out of em, but they'll get the job done. I changed all eight lugs (on and off) and aired up the spare without an issue using my small snap on 3/8 impact gun. I have absolutely no argument for the small "nuclear reactor" inverter in the back. I have a 2000watt inverter, and a lot of times I wish it was bigger.

Latest posts

Members online