Air Dog replacement filter

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
Hey guys order a replacement filter. Do i want the 2 micron or the 10 micron? thanks

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
The one on the motor is a two isn't it, I know the 2 micron will obviously clog faster. Most people run a 10 on the AD and the stock filter on the motor but if the have the elite AD upgrade or a home made one then I'd run a 2 micron on the AD for sure.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
I don't have one on the motor any more, guess I'll pick up a 2 micron. Thanks guys!

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
Got it today, thanks Eric. So I just unscrew the old filter and screw the new one on there and then cycle the key to fill it up? The filter itself shows you filling it up, but the user manual I downloaded said not to fill it with fuel that it'll prime itself

switchmode

Reaction score
Don't fill with diesel fuel this will result in sending unfiltered fuel to the HPFP. There are a few other filter options available for the airdog. They have absolute filter micron ratings of 2 and 3 at 99% efficiency versus the airdog filter which is more like 2 microns at 50%. These filters are also meeting these numbers at alot greater gph. There is also a Baldwin Fuel water separator that has better flow while it removes a better % of water. Both these alternatives come at half the price of the airdog filters and are usually available locally. Cummins and Duramax guys have been using these for quite a while on their airdogs with good results.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
well i've already got the air dog so i'm just gonna go with that this time and loo into a better filter next time I guess

switchmode

Reaction score
Here are the filters that can be used without modification to your airdog:
Fuel Water Separator
Baldwin BF1275
Seperates 99% of free water and 96.5% of emulsified water at 120 GPH

Secondary Fuel Filter
Donaldson P551315
3 micron absolute
99% efficient at 90 GPH

You can use Cat 1R0751 but it requires some modifications. It is a 2 micron absolute filter. Info can be seen here: http://duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32869

eric.davis

Reaction score
well i've already got the air dog so i'm just gonna go with that this time and loo into a better filter next time I guess
These are the filters I run with my AD165
Fuel: Donaldson P551315 3micron at 99.9%
Water Separator: Baldwin BF1275 is 99% water separation and emulsified water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
are these filters significantly better than the AD replacement? Or can I just use the AD 2 micron filter since i've already got it and then use those next time

switchmode

Reaction score
Really the 2 micron airdog filter is only a 5 micron absolute filter and that's only at 60 GPH.

eric.davis

Reaction score
are these filters significantly better than the AD replacement? Or can I just use the AD 2 micron filter since i've already got it and then use those next time

yes they are way better. if you look up those fleet guard filters that were posted the flow rates are horrible especially for the water separator. and the 2micron is only 5micron absolute and 50% at 2

Really the 2 micron airdog filter is only a 5 micron absolute filter and that's only at 60 GPH.

yep!! after i started doing research on them when i installed mine i ordered the posted filters. you can run the cat filter if you want just have to modify the bracket that holds the pump. grind the two tabs a little if you can get a cat filter cheaper.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
Okay thanks guys. havent installed the AD replacement yet, i'll probably just keep it as a spare for emergencies and order the one you all posted if autozone doesnt have it

Should I go ahead and get the Cat and do the extra work or get the donaldson?

Last edited:

switchmode

Reaction score
Donaldson is a direct thread on that is what I use because I can get them for $13 locally.

eric.davis

Reaction score
The cat and Donaldson are rated the same. So which ever you can get cheaper or easier depends on what you want to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online