AirDog failure

09stroker

Reaction score
Still gotta suck up the hose from the bottom of the tank to the frame rail. Only thing you can use a larger hose than the draw straw.

Nic

Reaction score
Just a heads up, any of you looking at an AirDog fuel setup, make sure you get the warranty card mailed in by the specified timeline. I neglected mailing the warranty card ( my fault) and at 13 months, 9k miles the pump failed and the lifetime warranty will not be honored due to my negligence. Gentleman named Kyle explained that even with the original receipt they will not support their product without the warranty card filed. $244 dollars with shipping to repair. Did I say lifetime warranty, I mean a LIMITED Lifetime warranty. Seems like lifetime would be with or without a registration card. Too many of these failures and a company that could have had a customer promoting their products instead going to the forums to warn people, too bad. This doesn't address the fact that the $700 + pump failed in the 1st place, with low miles and slightly over 1 year of use, just the support.

Sorry about your bad luck. We had a similar issue with different results. Ordered the AD100 from a local place and it sat in the garage for 8 months before we ever installed it, 2 weeks later it quit. We thought it was the pump as we were getting hot connections and fuses were ok. Called AD direct stating that we didnt fill out the warranty work because it sat, they said were sorry and sent us a new pump no questions asked. We later found out it was just the ground in the factory wiring in the spliced harness. Pump was ok.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I have yet to install an Airdog or FASS on a HEUI vehicle. I dont see the need to spend the money on one when its so simple to put your on together with a regulator up on the engine.
Then you can run whatever pump you want. Only thing you wont be doing is "removing air".

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Why yes I have, there is one installed on my truck.

So then you know that with the sump, the pump no longer acts as a lift under any curcumstance unless there is a blockage or low fuel. Even with the slight upward jog in the pickup line, there is no restriction. The act of gravity works with the AirDog when using a sump, rather than against it with a pickup tube

Last edited:

09stroker

Reaction score
Well correct me if I'm wrong but the way I see it is the level of fuel in either the draw tube or sump line is the same as the level in the tank so the pump would have to draw it up to the level of the pump which is pretty high, unless you installed it low on the frame rails. So the advantage would be a larger line and no screen. That's just how I see it but there's always more opinions than mine.

Nic

Reaction score
just installed a sump on mine with my airdog..is this in some way non beneficial to the system? I dont see what yall are getting at. Seems like it would be better for gravity to aid in feeding the pump for longer pump life.

TARM

Reaction score
It is better. The draw tube is a restriction.

Can you explain that a bit more? One with a sump with a 5/8 port the other with a draw tube 5/8" with a 5/8 port. The draw tube already having prime

Actually here is a example with some questions for anyone in general not specific to anyone:

Draw Tube vs Sump:

For this example the draw tube is just a straight tube with fitting no anti siphon, recirculation loop return port bla bla bla crap. Just a straight pipe like you would get from any of the vendors on here. This should be a given but further both tanks and the level of fuel along with all hose and pumps as well as any parts with the exception of the draw tube and sump connections will be identical/the same. Anything on the output side of the pumps is a non factor.

Two systems:

System one: tank with draw tube 5/8" inside diameter 90 degree JIC fitting 5/8 inside diameter hose. The hose connects to the Pump which is mounted at a height that is 5" above the tank. The system is already primed and once primed it does not loose prime.

System two: Tank with Sump with a 5/8 fitting to keep the systems equal its connected for routing purposes to the same type of JIC 90 degree fitting. 5/8 hose again connected to pump mounted at the same 5" above the tank.

* Of the two systems which one will cause the pump to work harder or which one will create more vacuum pressure (or lowest positive pressure)

With the understanding that the draw tube system would always have its prime. Disconnect the hose off the pump inlets in both the above systems. Holding them both at the same level slowly start to lower the hoses ends until fuel starts to flow out of them.

* Which one will start flowing first?

* Once at a level both hoses from each system are flowing which one will flow at a higher rate?

* What if you keep lowing the hose outlet levels further and further; what if anything will change in terms of differences between the flow rate between the two systems?

Last edited:

09stroker

Reaction score
I meant the factory draw tube is a restriction. Sorry.
My explanation/reasoning is in my other post.

Deputydog

Reaction score
I'm still pulling fuel thru my factory fuel tank (no sump) and have dyno'ed over 800 HP several times so it can't be that much of a restriction. I'm not saying a sump is better or worse, just saying the factory fuel tank/draw tube seems to be fine

09stroker

Reaction score
Not in that sense but a restriction to cause the pump to work harder, possibly shortening it's life.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
So then you know that with the sump, the pump no longer acts as a lift under any curcumstance unless there is a blockage or low fuel. Even with the slight upward jog in the pickup line, there is no restriction. The act of gravity works with the AirDog when using a sump, rather than against it with a pickup tube

I agree with this. I am running a sump with my airdog, with zero issues. Not saying I won't have issues. One can.never tell. You unfortunately pay to play

For those with AD failures, dis you see a drop in pressure over time or sis the pump just suddenly quit.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
In my experience, the ORIGINAL "low pressure" AirDogs have always been great, rock solid performers that resulted in a noticeable different for a lot of customers.

The ADII on the other hand, tons of problems. The first ones worked great, but they were very noisy and AD got a lot of complaints about that. Then they reworked them, which is when the 135 went away and we got the 165 and 200. That's when all of the problems started. The newer ones were quieter, but too many customers had too many failures. I've seen failed motors, melted harnesses, melted/deformed fuses...all of which resulted in customers stranded on the side of the road and our eventual decision to stop selling the product.

We still sell the original 100 and 150 units (low pressure) and still don't have any problems with them.

Reaction score
Pumps fail..........don't biaaatch and complain because you forgot to send in a Warranty card. Then say your going to bad mouth a company because of your own ignorance. Warlbros, FASS, AirDog, Fuel Labs, Aeromotive pumps they all have the possibility of failing.

TARM

Reaction score
Factory OK that makes sense.

I have to say I think some are confused as to how the Sump and Siphon/Pick Up systems work. Sumps are not the answer to flow rate issues and add a number of new issues.

Originally Posted by Diezel Dawg
Originally Posted by Powerstroked162 View Post

I agree with this.

This is incorrect.

Last edited:

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Pumps fail..........Warlbros, FASS, AirDog, Fuel Labs, Aeromotive pumps they all have the possibility of failing.

Very true, I've recommend to a LOT of people that they use a stock pump as long as possible...and if reliability is a primary concern, use 2 of them. Anyone selling pumps that says that ANY aftermarket pump is as reliable as the stocker is trying to sell you something...period.

I have to say I think some are confused as to how the Sump and Siphon/Pick Up systems work. Sumps are not the answer to flow rate issues and add a number of new issues.

Agreed, sumps have their place but are not the "end all" for sure.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Factory OK that makes sense.

This is incorrect.

Im not a physics major but I know how they work, I know what they do for the AirDog and FASS systems as I have seen it first hand. That's good enough for me and 97.8% of the members on this site. Also, just so we are clear, I never have mentioned that sumps are the "cure" to these AirDog issues. What I did say was that it does help to have one and that it does alleviate the pump working as hard as it does. Soooo.... if you'd like to help explain why sumps are the devil and a draw straw works better, Im all ears.

I see a lot of people claiming that XXX pumps are better than so and so's pumps, and yada yada yada, but in the end, as mentioned prior, they all fail. Not a single one of them is going to offer you anymore reliability than the next. I apparently have set the record for longest living AirDog II 165 pump at an easy 4-5 years of life running 70psi at the reg LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online