Airplane project inside

Snake

Reaction score
Diesel ain't gonna fly. Pun intended.

My father in law built a Kitfox tail dragger in his garage years ago and is an IP. He sold the plane a while back but is still crazy smart on this kind of stuff.

MINK

Reaction score
I predict this project will never get off the ground.

:D

I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Guys, lets try to not muck this thread up with gay pics(mink) and useless posts. A 7.3 in a plane is totally do-able. No reason why it won't happen

JD3020

Reaction score
Guys, lets try to not muck this thread up with gay pics(mink) and useless posts. A 7.3 in a plane is totally do-able. No reason why it won't happen

I agree, its totally do-able. I could even drop 2 7.3's in a 172 if i wanted to. But would the plane hold up to the weight and still fly properly? Hell no it wouldn't.

Now on a serious note i was flipping through Flying magazine a month or two back and ran across an article on the future of diesels, and it sounds pretty promising. Just seems like the main issue is weight, even with smaller engines.

Snake

Reaction score
Wait. Are you talking about making a dirigible? A Zepplin? Cause that would work. LOL LOL

Charles

Reaction score
Something like this would probably be more receptive to a heavier engine package:

2_diamondair.jpg

As for actually flying.... good luck with legality with it being experimental and all.

The power to weight ratio is struggling hard on a 7.3 for the air. Continuous power would probably need to be in the 1000hp range to support that engine, and it's simply not going to happen. Not even close.

Best case might be simply the ability to get off the ground and land again without melting a piston or splattering yourself across the ground if this was attempted in something like a Cessna.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Something like this would probably be more receptive to a heavier engine package:

2_diamondair.jpg

As for actually flying.... good luck with legality with it being experimental and all.

The power to weight ratio is struggling hard on a 7.3 for the air. Continuous power would probably need to be in the 1000hp range to support that engine, and it's simply not going to happen. Not even close.

Best case might be simply the ability to get off the ground and land again without melting a piston or splattering yourself across the ground if this was attempted in something like a Cessna.

I think we would have to address props first probably. The sheer torque and power of the 7.3 would most likely disintegrate the prop hub on start up. It would probably have to be some type of hardened alloy, maybe even miraging material to ensure durability.

Viking

Reaction score
I think we would have to address props first probably. The sheer torque and power of the 7.3 would most likely disintegrate the prop hub on start up. It would probably have to be some type of hardened alloy, maybe even miraging material to ensure durability.

adamantium?

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
Hmm I suggest a basement build

IIRC that's how Mike Rowe became popular?

powerSmokin

Reaction score
A few things to consider would be:
What range to most cessnas run (RPM wise)
How cold will the engine get when going to the higher altitudes
Burn rate of ruel, there is a reason why Jet Fuel is used in planes
Weight ratio and the center line of the engine compared to the whole plane
Will it be FAA approved?
Amount of torque at the prop but yet maintaining the right amount of speed to the prop.
Electronics obviously
Also the durability of the engine compartment (will it hold the weight without damaging the hull) going up and down along with turbulance is alot of stress for that small of a plane.

Latest posts

Members online