alignment problem on brand new 2016

Bryan55

Reaction score
I just got a new 2016 and was wondering why it would be out of alignment? When I get to about 67-70 it starts shaking pretty bad and it cant be from the tires I just put on it. I just put toyo 35x12.5x20 tires on but that cant be the reason the rear end looks out of alignment. If I look at the back of my truck the right rear tire is sticking outside the fender about an inch more than the left side. I also noticed the driver rear tire is closer to the back rear fender than the passenger rear tire??? Dose anyone know why this would be? I do remember it shaking some when I had the stock tires on it also but I only drove on them for about 200 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3539.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3541.jpg
    IMG_3541.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 108

Ciras

Reaction score
It is common for tires to be somewhat out of round from the factory.

You have also altered the geometry suspension with the oversize tires.

First, find an aftermarket shop that can also perform alignments. Most shops will just ensure that the truck is with in factory specs, but one must consider that the factory specs were intended for factory equipment.

If the issue persists, go back to the tire dealer.

lizardking

Reaction score
I would guess the bed is out of alignment which is why you're seeing the difference. As for the shake, probably the tires. Balance, out of round, not mounted right on the rim. I would also measure from the frame to the outside of the tire on both sides. See if the distance is the same within 1/2" to 5/8".

Layson

Reaction score
Just have them balance the tires again. It wouldn't surprise me if your truck did have an alignment issue. I have seen brand new vehicles burn up a set of tires in a few thousand miles.

Very rare to get a toyo m/t that is not round. They are usually easy to balance. Usually tires that are not round are in the military size range or over 40".... Then it is tough to find a tire that is actually round.

Check balance first on your new setup...if you have the OEM tires and wheels throw them on to see if it does it. Then if it does....head back to the dealer...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
find a spring and or axle shop. those guys get paid to rebuild suspensions every day.. they could tell you what the issue is..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Probably the known issue with hopping on these trucks. Mine does it after a wheel balance still on stock tires. Has since new

capt dong

Reaction score
When you get bigger tires it's a common issue that the axles/wheels don't line up. Get an aftermarket track bar to adjust your thrust angle.

sootie

Reaction score
When you get bigger tires it's a common issue that the axles/wheels don't line up. Get an aftermarket track bar to adjust your thrust angle.

huh!? how the heck does changing tires only affect alignment???

BK39

Reaction score
..if you have the OEM tires and wheels throw them on to see if it does it. Then if it does....head back to the dealer...

^^^^This. Takes like 20 mins to swap'em out. Quickest easiest way to diagnose: tire issue or truck issue.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Don't use the wheels and tires to measure.
Use the frame to the backing plate, cross-members, etc.
Also I have seen people buy wheels and the backspacing is different.
It is common though that the axle on cars is not centered.

JRLott

Reaction score
huh!? how the heck does changing tires only affect alignment???

Yet we missed that suspension geometry is changed by tires in post two.

I thought I was about to be enlightened and learn me sum knew stuff with the second post saying tire changes modify other components on the truck.

I changed coffee cups yesterday and now my timing is way advanced.

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
I can see larger tires, due to their additional weight and/or leverage, causing a previously existing poor suspension/alignment to be visible or noticed. I can not however, see it causing an actual change.

sootie

Reaction score
Mechanically im not sure why it does that. It effected mine and some others ive seen on stock suspension and bigger tires and wheels.

I don`t buy it. If all you did was a wheel and tire swap, there is no way in hell it magically changed hard parts. highlight an issue-possibly but it cant change caster, camber, axle alignment or driveline angle...sorry.

Bryan55

Reaction score
I have a friend that told me about a place here in Jacksonville that is great at doing a 4 wheel alignment and balancing the larger size tires that I am going to take it to and see what they say. He had his truck done there with 12" lift on 37" tires and his rides like glass!....... I'm hoping the guy I bought the tires from just isn't good at balance larger tires!! I have talked to a few people who have bought wheels and tires from him and just like me went to him because no one could beat the price but they said they have had problems with him being able to balance some tires at high speeds.:confused:

Layson

Reaction score
Check tires first... Just could be simple as a weight might have fallen off the wheel right after you left the shop. I have had that happen.

capt dong

Reaction score
I don`t buy it. If all you did was a wheel and tire swap, there is no way in hell it magically changed hard parts. highlight an issue-possibly but it cant change caster, camber, axle alignment or driveline angle...sorry.

Ive been on stock suspension up until recently. Rode on the stock 275s for a long time and then threw on some 325s. Went to get an alignment and had the thrust angle adjusted as well as toe and centered steering. Anyways you could visibly see the wheel stick out more on one side.. Theoretically alignment shouldnt change. Maybe bigger wheels accentuated a factory flaw. Ill see if i can dig up some alignment sheets. Mine wasnt the first time ive seen or heard of it.

Latest posts

Members online