Alluminized Exhaust + Powder Coat?

BFinMO

Reaction score
So I ordered my MBRP, 4" filter back, and ended up going with Alluminized for the lower price tag becuse my plans are to have the system powder coated black so I didnt figure the quality of the pipe would matter that much.

Not being savvy on Aluminized pipe I was wondering if there are any concernes I should consider prior to making contact with the powder coater.?

With the many options between 4 and 5" Allum vs T-409 I really was just concerned with having the same look and durability i had with the 5" Black series I had on my old truck. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

17BLKplat

Reaction score
My only thoughts is that he's hopefully using jet hot coat or some high heat type of coating vs. standard powdercoat considering the regens your pipe will see.
Most likely you've been through that thought already, but always good to double check.

quicksilver11

Reaction score
Be sure to clean the pipe of any oil residue on it. And like 06 said, make sure it's a high temp coating.

Snake

Reaction score
And be prepared for sticker shock. The high temp powder coat will be more than what you paid for the exhaust.

BFinMO

Reaction score
In further reading it also looks like the Alluminized needs to be blasted off. Looks like some high temp paint might just be the trick for this one.

TripleE44

Reaction score
I always use black header paint on my exhaust. When I had my previous 2 trucks I had custom exhaust put on and that's what they used and it always held up well. That's what I have on my exhaust aside from the tip. I've also painted a tip using BBQ grill paint, but being in behind the tire it chipped quick.

BFinMO

Reaction score
Well the BBQ paint looked awesome, I used Lacquer thinner to prep the pipes prior to. But I'm selling the 4" for a 5" system. So I'll post the pics up when the 5" gets here and is on.

FreddyM

Reaction score
always used BBQ paint on my old exhaust tips before i bought the nice MBRP black series, never really had any chips, and i resprayed it once a month or so and it looked super clean and matte black always....also grabbed some gloss black premium paint and painted my driveshaft and radius arms to match my gloss traction bars....all cost me probably 20 bucks in spray paint...nice little touches make a big difference.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I've coated a few stacks and other exhausts and the process we use is we sand blast it down to bare metal, heat it up and coat it hot with high temp powder. turns out great. I am unsure of the price though.

GA-Dawg11

Reaction score
I powder coated my exhaust tip on my old truck and used standard temp powder. Never had a problem with chipping or it coming off due to high temps, never tried it on the actually exhaust pipe though

lildevil02

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Flo pro coats their Aluminized kit with a coating that will prevent it from surface rusting. Don't know if MBRP does that or not but I imagine it has to come off for the paint to adhere.

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
Flo pro coats their Aluminized kit with a coating that will prevent it from surface rusting. Don't know if MBRP does that or not but I imagine it has to come off for the paint to adhere.
I just wiped my flopro exhaust down with paint thinner. Then primed ans painted it with manifold paint. Its held up good so far but its only 4months old. LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.